Jello Sugar Cookies--Has Anyone Tried Them??

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 3:57am by indydebi

Cookies4kids Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #1 of 7

Somewhere I saw a post--sorry I don't remember who it was--telling about these great sugar cookies that use different flavors of jello in the dough. You sprinkle them with coordinating colored sugar. Does anyone have a recipe and have any of you tried them?

6 replies
indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:38am
post #3 of 7

I make these at least once a week .... I can't recall the recipe (it's at the shop) but there is jello in the dough; I scoop them out using a cookie scoop then flatten with the bottom of a glass that has been dipped in jello powder. Super easy, and the dealership luvs 'em. A great Christmas cookie .. the powdered jello on top gives it a great holiday 'zing' taste.

Cookies4kids Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much for the answers. I will try them ASAP.

nickshalfpint Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:44am
post #5 of 7

I don't remember who posted these (sorry), but they are YUMMMMMMY!
Grandma Esplins Pastel Cookies

1 large package of your favorite flavor Jello
1/2 Cup Sugar
2 2/3 Cups Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 Cup Shortening
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs

Cream together the shortening, jello powder, and sugar, until fluffy. Add in baking soda, salt and eggs. Mix until creamy and smooth. Add in the flour.

Cover and let chill for about an hour.

Roll out and cut into your favorite shapes, and place on a parchment paper covered cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes, or until edges are just turning brown.

You can also bake them using this method(the way grandma did): roll a small ball in your hands and place on the cookie sheet. Dip a flat bottomed glass into sugar and then press the cookie to about 1/4 inch thick and bake.

nickshalfpint Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:50am
post #6 of 7
indydebi Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:57am
post #7 of 7

Ok, I remembered to bring the recipe home. It came out of a Kraft Food and Family magazine.

3.5 cups of flour
1.0 tsp baking powder
1.5 cups butter or margarine (I use margarine)
1 cups sugar
2 4-oz box of gelatin, divided (any flavor .. I luv the cherry!)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Mix wet ingredients; add baking powder; add one box of the gelatin; add flour. Scoop out (I use a #24 scoop) and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten with a glass that has been dipped in gelatin powder (the 2nd box of gelatin). Bake at 400 until they just start to turn brown around the edges (8-10 minutes). I get about 30 out of this batch when using the #24 scoop.

In a comm'l convection oven, I bake them at 300 degrees until just starting to slightly brown on the edges. No idea how long ... I take 'em out when they look right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%