Advice/help Quick!!! Gumpaste Coloring...

Decorating By Malakin Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 10:21am by Malakin

Malakin Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to do some flowers/designs out of gumpaste. I am using the gum-tex from Wilton and making my own, not the premade version. The problem I am having is that when I use the Wilton colors, pink and violet, they come out looking a sick peach and death blue!!! Any sugestions??? I need pink. I need purple. This only happens with the gumpaste, not BC or RI or Fondant. Where I live, there are NO stores to run out to real quick and I don't have time to order any other brands of colors. I only have Wilton.

4 replies
holoien003 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 5

Ugh....I despise wilton colors! Do you have red? You can use red instead, just don't use a lot of the colouring to get pink. Red and blue make purple...try adding some red to your death blue.

Malakin Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:18am
post #3 of 5

Thanks. I was getting desperate and am going to have to take time to order some other colors off the internet. Wilton just doesn't work right for me.

BlakesCakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #4 of 5

Actually, it's probably not the Wilton colors, it's the way they're reacting with the gum paste. It can happen with the gum that's used, like gum tex, cmc, gum trag, or tylose. Even with another brand of colors, you still may find that when the GP is colored, it's not exactly like you want.

I find that if I use Wilton pre-packaged or Nick Lodge's recipe for gum paste, both are very white and colors are truer when added.

In most cases, gum paste flowers are made white, or very pale in color, and then dusted & steamed to achieve the darker colors.

Hope it works out for you.
Rae

Malakin Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:21am
post #5 of 5

Thanks for all the info. It's worth a try!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%