How Many Cups In A Bag Of Flour, Tsp In A Bottle Of Vanilla,

Decorating By jjandhope Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 3:35am by TexasSugar

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:12pm
post #1 of 12

I just got cake boss and I need to put in my recipes. It will figure costs if I know the cost per cup, etc. I was just thinking, "Well, I guess I have to dump out the bag and measure!" when it ocurred to me that some of you may already have this info. Anything you have along these lines would be so helpful and would save me a lot of time!

cups of crisco per oz
cups of sugar per pound
cups of flour per pound
tsp of vanilla per ounce
cups of coconut per pound
cups of powdered sugar per pound
tsp cinnamon per ounce
And any other ingredients you might know of!!!!

If you have these, but they are in a different measurement, (say ounces instead of pounds, etc), please go ahead and send them. I can convert much easier than dumping out all my ingredients.

11 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:22pm
post #2 of 12

I have a spreadsheet made especially for CakeBoss users to answer these burning questions. icon_smile.gif I will email it to you.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 12

Another thing you can do is find an online conversion chart online and look at the serving size vs servings. It takes a little math but would be quicker than dumping it out and measuring it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:04pm
post #4 of 12

The Nutrition Facts label that is on every container of food will give you that info. For example, if your 5-lb bag of flour says a serving is 1/2 cup and there are 40 servings, then that tells you there are 20 cups in a 5 lb bag. If your bottle of vanilla says a servings size is 1/4 tsp and there are 20 servings, then that tells you there are 5 tsp in the bottle.

This is how I figured it out on every item on my spreadsheet ... it's how I figure how many meatballs in a bag, how many 4 oz chicken breasts in a 10 lb box, etc.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 12
xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm
post #6 of 12

Or you can look on the back of the items where the nutrition information if there is one for that particular item and usually it will list what it considers a serving and how many servings are in the box/bag/container ie. for flour a serving could be 1/4 cup and there could be 50 servings in a bag.

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm
post #7 of 12

Sorry I repeated what indydebi said. I got sidetracked with the kids before I hit submit plus she worded it way better! icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:30pm
post #8 of 12

It's easier if you buy a scale. icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:31am
post #9 of 12

Don't assume that your cup is my cup is someone else's cup. Convert your cup to weight if you want to be exact.

jjandhope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjandhope Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:45am
post #10 of 12

The matrix kelleym sent is just what I needed. The nutrition labels are sometimes done in tablespoons when you need cups, or worse, in liters or grams. Kelley's system was all laid out for me and I was able to expand it to what I need. I added about 3 jillion ingredients because I make a lot more than just cakes (being careful to put items in the right category and checking the formula to make sure it was right). It was a lot of work, but all my ingredients are in and I will never have to do it again!!!!!!!! With this and cakeboss, I will know exactly dead on what an item costs to make. It's what Ive been looking for for months. Tomorrow I start puttin in the recipes. I cant wait to see what comes out!

Thanks Kelley! ANd thanks to all of you who answered. I was able to use some of all of the advice!

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 12

I like to use a shareware program called Convert

http://joshmadison.com/article/convert-for-windows

It converts everything to everything else. Weights, volume, distance, etc

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:35am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjandhope

The nutrition labels are sometimes done in tablespoons when you need cups, or worse, in liters or grams.

Uh huh, that's why I also suggested a conversion chart and a little math.

4 Tablespoons equal 1/4 cup.
8 Tablespoons equal 1/2 cup.
16 Tablespoons equal 1 cup.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%