Cake Wrecks And Cc Pics.

Lounge By mkolmar Updated 7 Oct 2008 , 2:43pm by 7yyrt

mkolmar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 34

I like the cake wrecks website and think it's funny. However, I've noticed that 4 different CC members (that I know of) cakes are on there. These cakes are really well done too! It makes me upset to think that someone is taking the pictures off of this website that we use to learn from and turning them into cake wrecks to get posted. I guess that's what can happen when you post pictures of your cakes on the web. I just hate to think that someone who joined CC is doing so, but I'm afraid that may be the case.

33 replies
Jasmine33 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 34

I am surprised my Indian Jones one isn't on there. Or is it? hahaha

michellenj Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 34

So they are posting CC cakes on their site, making fun of them? That's not very nice.

chutzpah Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:22pm
post #4 of 34

read the text!

She does have a couple of cakes from CC, but writes that the idea is creepy (those pregnant belly cakes etc).

I don't understand the big deal about CC members's cakes being featured there?

indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 34

I guess I agree with chutz ... why is it a big deal? We all make fun of the cakes we see on cake wrecks, but our own cakes are hands off? Learn to laugh at yourself ... it makes life much more fun! thumbs_up.gif

mkolmar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 34

I have read the text! Not all of the cakes on there are made fun of because of them being creepy. (and no, not one of mine are on there.)
My point is that someone is taking pictures off of here where people come to learn and post pictures to improve.
Maybe I'm crazy but I just think it's wrong. I think what bothers me the most is that it's someone who joined on here probably just to post them on cake wrecks.

I laugh at myself all the time Indy. I have to if I'm ever to stay sane in my household icon_wink.gif.

chutzpah Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #7 of 34

Why is it wrong? Because all of a sudden it happens to be *one of our own* in the firing line? Why is it acceptable for non-CC members to be picked apart, but unfair when a CC-member is in the same situation? (I have a visual image of you stamping your foot)

There are thousands of members here, and not all of us like to sit around the campfire, holding hands and singing Kumbaya. maybe it was a member who sent the cakes in to CW, maybe not. If it was a member who knows how long they have been so. A month, eight years?

mixinvixen Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:50pm
post #8 of 34

not jumping on you at all, but i have to agree about the somewhat absurd notion of the "exclusivity" of cc. yes, we come to learn, and yes, there are those among us who maybe stand heads and shoulders above the rest of us, but i don't think that makes us special. i don't understand why it's funny when it's anyone else BUT cc community. i, for one, know that there are a couple of mine (at least) that i wouldn't be surprised to see on there!!

mkolmar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #9 of 34

(I have a visual image of you stamping your foot)
UUMMMM, so wrong on this one. If you new much about me you would know that's totally not my style.

A member on a different cake site is no longer posting on there because their picture was taken and made fun off. They were very new to cake decorating.

It just bothers me that someone would join to steal pictures no matter how well/not well done, that's my point.

This isn't a CC member issue. I feel the same way about all the pictures posted on there. I use to think they were funny, now I find them just sad. It took my little girl asking why people were being so mean to others trying hard to make me see that.

michellenj Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:22am
post #10 of 34

I understand now. From your original post I wasn't sure if it was actual CC photos or if it was replicas of CC photos done badly on purpose.

Am I the only person who thinks many of the cakes on there are made badly on purpose, just to be on there? I digress.

If I took pics of my cakes and posted them here, I'd be really hurt that they were put on another site and made fun of. BUT-it's the internet, and once something is out there-cake pics or bachelor party pics, or whatever-it is going to get around! So I wouldn't be surprised.

Honeydukes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:59am
post #11 of 34

I've seen her site and from my understanding, people send her many of the cake pictures she posts. I think you are assuming she's coming here and taking them. I do know of one instance when the creator of a cake was upset and sent her an email -- she immediately removed the picture. I don't think her intention is to maliciously hurt people.

WendyVA Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:26am
post #12 of 34

I thought mostly what made that site funny is that the cakes that she posts are suppose to have been purchased from a professional bakery. I don't think it's her intent to take novice baker's cake pics and laugh at them.

Of course someone could be sending her pics that they say are from a bakery and they're really not.

I think this person is just trying to entertain and not trying to hurt anyone.

mkolmar Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:22pm
post #13 of 34

I know she gets the pictures emailed to her and then posts them, I think you misunderstood me. (I don't word things that well.)
The site is there to entertain and I get that.
Some of her cakes on there though are not from a bakery like she thinks they are since people send her the pics. I think it's one of those people who are taking the pics and sending them in. Like I said earlier. A person new to decorating posted a picture on another forum and it's now posted on cake wrecks as if she was a pro. She's hurt by this. I'm sure the lady running the site doesn't realize this when she receives these pictures from others who go looking for them.

Callyssa Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:46pm
post #14 of 34

I know that before I could view any photos I HAD to join CC, so I think the real issue is that it must be a member here that is sending the photos in. That in itself seems hurtful when you think of this as our little community, however, just because someone has joined the "community" doesn't mean they actually are a part of it. It's true, they could have joined solely for the purpose of being able to do what they're doing. Maybe not. With so many members here, I'm sure no-one will ever know.

As far as feelings getting hurt, I hope anyone whose pictures have ended up there can turn it into a positive experience instead of feel defeated by it. Sometimes it's not easy to be as critical of ourselves (or in my case, TOO critical to a fault!), and I'd rather be embarrassed by an online site than in my own community where I'm trying to build my business. Don't let something like this break you, let it MAKE you!!! icon_smile.gif

sarahpierce Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #15 of 34

Do I hear conspiracy theories? icon_surprised.gif What if.......
1. What if aliens tapped into CC and are exposing our secrets to the world, no wait- the universe!
2. What if the FBI or CIA is secretly recording our conversations about cakes and installed micro chips into our cake boards and they know where we are delivering to?
3. What if there is a hidden map of success and untold treasures on the back of our laptops?
4. What if cakewrecks is all in fun, and if your picture is on there they will take it down if you don't like it?

I guess we'll never know. shhh.gif Eerie isn't it?

Seriousely though, if you don't like it, don't look.

mkolmar Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:47pm
post #16 of 34

Sarahpierce
Read the post from Callyssa and you will hopefully understand what I'm trying to say but perhaps this time without the childish attitude. I haven't given any attitude, you shouldn't either.

mocakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:29pm
post #17 of 34

Wow....why do some people always have to be so sarcastic? icon_confused.gif

mkolmar, I get what you were trying to share with us. I didn't take your statements like that at all. To me it just seemed like an observation about something....

I don't get some people on here at all.

Jasmine33 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:24pm
post #18 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

2. What if the FBI or CIA is secretly recording our conversations about cakes and installed micro chips into our cake boards and they know where we are delivering to?

icon_surprised.gif ruh ~ roh. It's the cake police everyone run and hide!!! icon_lol.gif

sarahpierce Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:23am
post #19 of 34

It was a joke. Lighten up. And yes, I am very sarcastic. It may offend some people, but other people do laugh. I just simpley shared a funny scenario, think about the simplicity of my concept- cake conspericeys icon_confused.gif . It is actually funny. Please don't look at it deeper than that. detective.gif

mkolmar Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:57pm
post #20 of 34

I'm sorry if I misunderstood it was a joke. The bad things about computers is that you can't hear the tone in which the person means it to be said. I'm one for joking around too. However, after some of the posts it seemed if I was being judged for my thoughts. So maybe it was just bad timing that I read yours and assumed that's what you meant. I apologize.
I don't expect everyone to think the same way I do. If they did the world would be boring. I do expect people to treat each other kindly though.

Jasmine33 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #21 of 34

Hey Chutzpah,

How about you lead us in a round of Kumbaya?

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_biggrin.gif

icon_evil.gif

emrldsky Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #22 of 34

I understand what you're saying, but I think the best thing anyone can do is contact that person and let them know that 1) their cake is on cake wrecks and 2) if it wasn't a cake that someone PAID money for (see the cake wrecks blog's rules), advise the person to write in, explain that it's their cake, it wasn't professional nor paid for, and the author WILL take it down.

We all want to protect our friends, even if we're only friends because we all belong to the same forum for cake decorating, but we can't prevent them from being hurt all the time.

It's unfortunate that a new decorator was featured, and humiliated, on the site. But she could have emailed the author of cake wrecks and explained the situation, and I'm certain she would have removed it. She's done it before.

And hey, look at the bright side, she rarely points out WHO actually made the cake. icon_wink.gif

mkolmar Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:51pm
post #23 of 34

You are correct and she did notify I believe. My main point is that someone must have joined here in order to email pictures to cake wrecks. (as well as other learning sites) That's what I disagree with. I hate to think that a member would do such a thing. However, once the pictures are on the internet anything is fair game I guess. (just ask the politicians and stars with scandals icon_lol.gif )

I think people think I'm crying in a corner about this and have thin skin. That's not the case. I was just simply trying to make an observation.

mocakes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:06am
post #24 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

I was just simply trying to make an observation.

mkolmar...just know that most get that and completely understand where you were going with your point.

It doesn't matter what observation you make....there are always those ready to pounce and have some snippy comment to make.

Sorry, but I totally feel you were making an honest observation and kind of got the shaft here. That's really too bad.... icon_sad.gif

denise2434 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 1:46pm
post #25 of 34

mkolmar, I'm so glad that you pointed this out! I found one of my cakes posted to the blog and e-mail the lady and demanded that she remove my picture from her site. I will get a lawyer involved if I have to. What she wrote about my cake was totally WRONG! She said that it was made for a baby shower, which it wasn't, it was made for mother who is a doll collector.

To me, this blog is rude and cruel!!!!! Yeah, I guess I do have sour grapes, but how would you feel to have one your cakes posted and have others make fun of something you poured your heart into? All I could do is sit here and cry. I just hope it doesn't hurt the others who have their cakes posted on there and much as it hurt me.....I pm'ed Heath and asked him to remove all my photos so I won't have to feel this way again.

mocakes Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 4:58pm
post #26 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by denise2434

mkolmar, I'm so glad that you pointed this out! I found one of my cakes posted to the blog and e-mail the lady and demanded that she remove my picture from her site.

To me, this blog is rude and cruel!!!!! Yeah, I guess I do have sour grapes, but how would you feel to have one your cakes posted and have others make fun of something you poured your heart into? All I could do is sit here and cry. I just hope it doesn't hurt the others who have their cakes posted on there and much as it hurt me.....

denise2434...I'm so sorry this happened to you. I can only imagine what it would feel like to work so hard on something only to have others laugh and make fun of it. icon_sad.gif

This is exactly what mkolmar was trying to do....just let others know there were CC cakes on the website. Unfortunately, there are were a few who felt the need to be sarcastic and rude.

I hope this doesn't stop you from posting pics here. Try not to let it get the best of you!! icon_wink.gif

denise2434 Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 11:47pm
post #27 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by denise2434

mkolmar, I'm so glad that you pointed this out! I found one of my cakes posted to the blog and e-mail the lady and demanded that she remove my picture from her site.

To me, this blog is rude and cruel!!!!! Yeah, I guess I do have sour grapes, but how would you feel to have one your cakes posted and have others make fun of something you poured your heart into? All I could do is sit here and cry. I just hope it doesn't hurt the others who have their cakes posted on there and much as it hurt me.....

denise2434...I'm so sorry this happened to you. I can only imagine what it would feel like to work so hard on something only to have others laugh and make fun of it. icon_sad.gif

This is exactly what mkolmar was trying to do....just let others know there were CC cakes on the website. Unfortunately, there are were a few who felt the need to be sarcastic and rude.

I hope this doesn't stop you from posting pics here. Try not to let it get the best of you!! icon_wink.gif

Thanks mocakes! It's a very sickening feeling to read 114 nasty (oh and they were nasty not funny) comments about something you have made or some of the comments made on other cakes. I do not see one funny thing about that site and I won't be visiting again.

I want to thank mkolmer again, I'm glad she had my back and was kind of enough to post what was going on because I had no idea and I'm sorry mkolmer that you were met with very sarcastic posts. I have a feeling some people would be singing a different tune if it was their cake and one day it just might be.....

Deb_ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 12:14am
post #28 of 34

Denise I am very sorry that your cake picture was stolen and that you had to endure all of those nasty comments. This type of stuff is exactly why I hate the internet sometimes.

mkolmar, I think it's great that you picked up on this and notified people here on CC. We are fortunate to have members like you that are looking out for all of us.

In a way, I think it would be nice if we could protect ourselves a little better on this site. When I first stumbled onto CC and became a member I was so thrilled to have so many people to talk to about my passion. But, lately I've been thinking about the negative aspects of this site. Everyone has the ability to become a member, which means that our customers could be reading all of us complain about them icon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_sad.gif

Sometimes I wish that a tax I.D. was required to join, than we would be among just the decorator/bakers out there.

I hate that cakewreck web site, I went on it once and didn't find one thing funny about it, so I never went back. I think people that get a kick out of stuff like that are also the type of people who enjoy Jerry Springer or Howard Stern. Getting enjoyment at the expense of other's feelings is really sad.

TexasSugar Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:46am
post #29 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Sometimes I wish that a tax I.D. was required to join, than we would be among just the decorator/bakers out there.

This would be sad since you would lose alot of members that are not in business but do awesome cake work.

It would also be against the whole bases of this site. A place where people who love the same thing can come and discuss it. No matter their skill level or jo0b status is in the cake world.

Deb_ Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 3:00am
post #30 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

This would be sad since you would lose alot of members that are not in business but do awesome cake work.

It would also be against the whole bases of this site. A place where people who love the same thing can come and discuss it. No matter their skill level or jo0b status is in the cake world.

Good point texassugar...........O.K......maybe 1 forum for business owners only where we can vent about experiences with our dearly beloved clients. I'm sure there are a lot of them lurking, I can only imagine what they think about some of the posts. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%