Need Opinions: Bread Machines??

Lounge By rezzygirl Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm by sarahpierce

rezzygirl Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:30pm
post #1 of 6

I'm looking into getting a bread machine but I want a good one that makes large loaves. There are a lot of brands out there so I don't know which one to get. What do you have? love it? hate it? What should I look for? Thanks!

5 replies
JoAnnB Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #2 of 6

I had one that I used from time to time. The results were good, but hot fresh bread is a risk to have around-it evaporates and reforms on my behind.

However, there are a couple of things you might look for.

I hated the beater at the bottom of the pan. I could not be removed and the bread baked around it. removing the bread left a hole in the bread.

I LOVED the dough setting. You dump in your ingredients, let it do the mixing an keading and when it is ready to shape, you can take it and bake it in any pan you like.

Also, I would have preferred a better loaf shape, one that baked on its side, rather than on the end.

rezzygirl Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the info JoAnnB. Do you remember the brand you had? I love the idea of having a dough setting because I'd love to make sweet dough for cinnamon buns. I guess I'd be looking for a removable blade too. Thanks for the advice!!

susies1955 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 8:56am
post #4 of 6

I have an older Welbilt Bread Machine that I used a lot. The coating in the pan is scratched up a bit. It is a vertical machine. I love to use the dough cycle and bake in my own oven. You can figure out when the machine is ready to bake though and lift the dough, form it nicer and take the paddle out. icon_smile.gif If you lived closer I would "probably" let you take it.
I now have a Zojirushi V20. It is a horizontal machine. The only thing is that the dough isn't formed perfectly when it bakes in this one either. I don't think many of them are. icon_smile.gif I LOVE IT though. Sometimes I bake in the machine and sometimes the oven. This machine has tons of features. I set a timer to take the dual paddles out. icon_smile.gif
Here is an amazon reviews and description of the machine.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004S56Y/?tag=cakecentral-20
Susie

Mike1394 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:53am
post #5 of 6

I icon_evil.gif bread machines. A good bread is fairly easy to make. Bah humbug on bread machines LOLOL

Mike

sarahpierce Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 6

My advice... Go to the bread machine graveyard (Good Will) to get one first. If you use it for more than a couple months than invest in a new one. Odds are though, you will get sick of it. So, don't waste your money. I haven't touched mine in 8 years.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%