Have Idea, Need Input...

Decorating By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm by SweetOccasionCakes

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 4

Ok, my brother is coming home from Iraq in a few weeks for leave. We are going to have a get together with family since we haven't all been together in several years. He hasn't even met our other brothers wife of over a year! Anyway, the celebration is going to be of all holidays rolled into one, birthday's, Christmas, Thanksgiving, etc. My idea is to make a cake that has a little bit of everything on it. I was thinking of a two tier with sections for each holiday. What do you think of this idea and if you like it can you help me elaborate on it? If you don't like it can you give me another suggestion? Thanks a bunch!
usaribbon.gif

3 replies
armywifebryan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
armywifebryan Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #2 of 4

That kind of party is exactly what we wanted to do for my DH when he came home on leave. He got wind of it and said...NO! He eventually told me that the reason he didn't want that kind of party is because it just reminded him of how much he had really missed out over the year and a half he was gone...6 birthday parties (for our 3 kids), two Christmas mornings, 2 Thanksgiving dinners, etc. A lot of the guys we know felt the same way when they came home. You might want to make sure he is up to it. If he is only coming home on leave, you have to remember that it is already going to be hard for him to leave and go back. Then if he thinks of how much he has already missed....it will only make it that much harder.

Instead, maybe have a funny party of some kind. Try to lighten the mood if you can. My hubby was showing signs of PTSD so for him he just needed to be around people he loved. No party needed. At the time, he couldn't handle anything military oriented. Try to get your brother's mind off the military for the time he is home. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. If you need anything else though, feel free to pm me.

Teresa

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:57pm
post #3 of 4

I agree with Teresa...making the cake about what he is missed is more difficult..But if you want a season, pick the one that is the most important so it would feel more like a special day just for him more than this is what you missed...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #4 of 4

We're going to use Curious George party ware, didn't want to do the red,white&blue stuff. I will think about it though. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%