Shocking Prices!

Decorating By lardbutt Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 2:51am by indydebi

lardbutt Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 12

I saw a thread about a cake show that will be within driving distance of me and followed the link to check it out. I have heard about ICES, but nevr even knew what it meant until now.

Anyway, I find my state info for the ICES and go there. It had some links to some professional decorators in my area. So I go to check out the link of one I have never heard of cause she's only about 20 miles from me. I was SO shocked at her prices!

First, because she said on the site she widely know, I think she even said around the WORLD. Second, I know you can't sell from home in SC. I have no idea how you can make a profit with what she is charging!

She may be a member here, so I will not share the link. I don't want to cause trouble. (Don't ask me to PM you either! icon_twisted.gif )

But I will tell you a few prices I saw. A 1/4 is going for $22! She is selling 100 brownies for $28!! And I have no idea how she can be making a profit by selling cupcakes for $8/dozen!!!

It just really blew me away!

11 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:34pm
post #2 of 12

A batch of brownies (16), using butter and dark chocolate, costs me at least $15 to make! What does she make her stuff from, floor sweepings? I really don't see how she's even covering her costs at those prices! Wow.

kelleym Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 12

That's what happens when you set your prices by going with whatever "sounds good", instead of doing a thorough cost analysis of your expenses.

msulli10 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #4 of 12

I know I undercharge, but I'm just starting out and sellin mostly to people I know right now. I trust them to give me feedback so I can make corrections and perfect my craft! Then, look out icon_smile.gif

seagoat Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #5 of 12

I make really good brownies (so I've been told) and they cost me around $6. to make a batch.

I usually cut them up into 9 pieces 3.2x3.2 and sell them for 2 dollars each. With nuts and chocolate chips.

Wish I could see them for more, but it's a lil different down here.

seagoat Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:11pm
post #6 of 12

oh, forgot to add...her brownies must be 1/2"x1/2" lol

And still too darn cheap!

lardbutt Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:28pm
post #7 of 12

That's exactly what I was thinking! I sold some 3" decorated cookies for $1 each and it didn't take me but that one time to realize that is way too cheap! It barely covers the expense, but doesn't come close to paying me for my time!

I can't imagine how she is staying in business! Or why she would want to at that price! I enjoy what I do, but come on, I wanna see a profit!

Jasmine33 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #8 of 12

From scratch I make 8 brownies in an 8" round pan. I use all real butter and cocoa. I toss on some chocolate chips and 1 batch cost me only $1.10 to make. So that would cost me $13.75.

I sell brownies for $7.00 for 8. So I would charge roughly $87.50.

seagoat Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 12

How in the heck do you do that Jasmine?

A batch cost is 1.10? With real butter and chocolate chips? Darn, my butter alone in the recipe cost me 2 dollars.

I like your profit margin a lot better than mine!

seagoat Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:16pm
post #10 of 12

I actually have a story for you guys....

A friend of mine (through our kids class) has a husband that works in a restaurant, but in his spare time or when asked, he makes cakes. His cakes are basic dry yellow cake with 7 minute icing and maybe some fruit. She was telling me that he buys the ingredients at the store, adds up the cost, then adds 2 dollars to the price. That's what he sells the cake for. I asked him if he wants to come and work for me for .50 cents per hour....he laughed. I'll get him to raise his price.....just wait!

Anyways, the people that aren't really doing this as a business just don't put the time into figuring out how much things cost...gas, paper..TIME! And if they are trying to run a business and don't know their costs are....well, they'll be gone in no time.

And it's always true....you get what you pay for~

Mike1394 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:27pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagoat

I actually have a story for you guys....

A friend of mine (through our kids class) has a husband that works in a restaurant, but in his spare time or when asked, he makes cakes. His cakes are basic dry yellow cake with 7 minute icing and maybe some fruit. She was telling me that he buys the ingredients at the store, adds up the cost, then adds 2 dollars to the price. That's what he sells the cake for. I asked him if he wants to come and work for me for .50 cents per hour....he laughed. I'll get him to raise his price.....just wait!

Anyways, the people that aren't really doing this as a business just don't put the time into figuring out how much things cost...gas, paper..TIME! And if they are trying to run a business and don't know their costs are....well, they'll be gone in no time.

And it's always true....you get what you pay for~

That's why my first question when I see a "How much do I charge" post is, "What is your cost?" It really surprises me that people want to sell an item, and "do business" without knowing how much it costs to manufacture the product they want to sell.

Mike

indydebi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:51am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by seagoat

Anyways, the people that aren't really doing this as a business just don't put the time into figuring out how much things cost...gas, paper..TIME! And if they are trying to run a business and don't know their costs are....

These are the folks who just want to "play store". icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%