I Don't Think I Can Ever Go Back...

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 12:10am by GenGen

ThreeDGirlie Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:30pm
post #1 of 33

Oh my goodness. I have been making the SugarShack BC for the last couple of months and have really liked it. But since it was all shortening, I was flavoring it with vanilla (the clear, imitation kind so it stayed bright white), butter flavoring and a touch of almond. I love the way it works, but I wasn't crazy about the chemical-y taste from the flavorings I was choosing to use...

Well I made it yesterday with a pound of real butter in there. And since it wasn't going to be "pure white", I figured what the heck and used real vanilla. THIS STUFF IS SO GOOD! I seriously don't know if I can ever go back to my old version of this recipe.

And I have to keep this stuff locked up so I don't just eat it with a spoon. icon_surprised.gif

32 replies
HerBoudoir Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 33

I hear ya...that's why there's no shortening or artificial flavorings in my kitchen icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:08pm
post #3 of 33

thumbs_up.gif Ditto here.. nothing beats the real thing. I tell my clients up front that I don't make bright white icing.. it's a very pale ivory because it is made with butter and real vanilla. No one has complained.. icon_biggrin.gif

weirkd Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:21pm
post #4 of 33

I was always wondering even as a kid when my mom would make "buttercream" and it had absolutely no butter in it!
So I was basically the only kid that would refuse to eat the frosting on cakes because it was too sweet and would eat just the cake part. So when I got older and got a taste of whipped cream frosting and the good stuff buttercream I never looked back!
I guess I was a food snob at a very early age!

bcake1960 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 33

Well I made it yesterday with a pound of real butter in there.

ThreeDGirlie, Did you replace All the shortning with butter or just 1 lb of the shortning with butter?
a shortning butter mixture?.. I will have to give that a try.. I do love Sugarshacks recipe and it is great for summer outdoor weddings.. I have wondered what butter in that recipe would be like.. I like the stability that the shortning provides..

MaryBun Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 33

The butter tends to make really soft frosting, so using 1/2 shortening and 1/2 butter works really well. The piping holds up much better and the flavor is good too!!

tyty Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 33

Did you use all butter? How much vanilla did you use? Did it still crust?

ThreeDGirlie Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:18pm
post #8 of 33

I only replaced 2 Cups of the shortening with butter. But the real butter instead of the "butter flavor", and the real vanilla made a difference to me...

So I did still have 3-3.5 cups of shortening (I weighed 22 ounces, because in my experiments with weight Crisco for my last few batches, 1 C shortening = approximately 6.5 oz)... Then 3T of vanilla and 1t of almond. I didn't want it to be almond flavored, but I think it adds depth - though I could just be imagning things!

tyty Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 33

Does it still crust?

ThreeDGirlie Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:28pm
post #10 of 33

I didn't frost my cake yet, but I did smear some on a plate and it only took about 5 minutes to crust... That's faster than usual, but it's cool with no humidity here today! So I have no fears about it crusting as usual. icon_smile.gif

tyty Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 33

Ok, thanks for the info, I'll have to try it.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 33

I seriously think I have a problem with playing with icing these days...

I grew up on my grandma's (mock) whipped cream icing and always HATED the standard BC that came on most cakes - but decorating with that stuff is near impossible... "My grandma's icing" is all I would ever use to ice a cake, slap on a border and write "Happy Birthday".

Then I decided i wanted to learn to do more with decoratin, and I took a decorating class where we used an all-Crisco BC recipe. I didn't like that AT ALL, and found CC around that time, so I started trying recipes I found here. I liked Indydebi's and SugarShack's but wanted to get some real butter in there and I came up with this version. It will definitely be my go-to for now...

Of course, I still want to try the meringue buttercreams and see what I come up with. I am addicted to trying new icing recipes!

littlecake Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm
post #13 of 33

mines 1/2 and 1/2 too...around here they love my icing, they don't care if it's ivory colored....

i do a snow white wedding cake every now and then...

janicecold Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #14 of 33

Nothing beats the flavor of butter in buttercream!! That is why it is called BUTTERcream is it not!!! When I make my icing I do a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of butter and shortening. It still crusts which makes it easier for smoothing out which I am sure you all know anyways.
I kind of like the softness of the color. I have never had anyone say anything about it not being a true white.
I think that the flavor is more important than the true white color but that is just me!

summernoelle Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:15pm
post #15 of 33

The shortening is the main reason I don't like to do buttercream cakes. It seems so grocery store to do that.
So what do you do? Do you sub butter for the Crisco?
Thanks!

mandi1613 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:16pm
post #16 of 33

When i started decorating my wiltons instructor told us to use the all shortening icing recipe. It was ok but not really my thing. Then one day i decided to try 1/2 and 1/2 which was definately better. Finally one day my dad said "why not use all butter". I haven't gone back to crisco since. it's so creamy and everyone loves it!

janicecold Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 33

Ya, I substitute the butter for shortening and everything else the same. I do leave 1/2 the shortening in because when I pipe I find that the icing gets softer if you use just butter where as the shortening helps what should I say, keep it bound together.
If a recipe calls for 2 cups of shortening what I do is 1 cup of each and then all of the rest the same.

panchanewjersey Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:29pm
post #18 of 33

So can I ask everyone a few questions about bc? Is sugarshack's recipe on cc the same in her video? And if so is her's better? I'm not real big on bc but when I have to make a fondant covered cake I usually make the Wilton bc in the catalog step by step. But I'm really looking for a good recipe that will make me fall in love with it. Please help!

Tita9499 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:34pm
post #19 of 33

I have never used an all shortening recipe (even though in culinary school my chefs all told us that's what Americans prefer). I've always at the least used 3 parts butter to 1 shortening. It's funny because some people say it's super sweet (which the love) or not too sweet (older people love that)...it's the same icing!
Anyway, when you're feeling up to it (and the cakes being made during the cooler months), try your hand at swiss or italian buttercream...you'll really flip over that!

LovelyCreations Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:38pm
post #20 of 33

So...to sub with butter is better icon_smile.gif But what type of butter? I have two packages in my refrigerator at the moment and would love to try this. I have sweet butter...salted and unsalted, which would be best to use?

summernoelle Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:58pm
post #21 of 33

Lovely Cakes- It's always better to use unsalted butter in baking, so you can control the amount (or whether you want it at all) of salt in your baking.
Salted butter won't ruin a recipe, but it is always a safer bet to go with unsalted.

Tita9499 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #22 of 33

unsalted!!!!

ILE Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:18pm
post #23 of 33

i love the forum .. it give you so much info about anything. that's why at work i get in trouble becouse in between patient i go and see what topic is on love you guys

arosstx Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #24 of 33

When I use the Sugarshack recipe in a 6qt mixer, I use 1/3 butter to 2/3 hi-ratio shortening. It crusts fine, and tastes great.

To get it whiter now that you've added butter I suggest adding the butter first, and then turning the mixer up to about a 6 and really beating it until it changes color from yellow to almost a white. If you look at any of my white cakes in my pics, the buttercream ALWAYS has butter in it!

abslu Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #25 of 33

I love the buttercream dream recipe, it uses 1 stick salted, 1 stick unsalted, one cup crisco, milk and vanilla. For me it has the perfect balance of butter taste and vanilla. It smells like a wedding cake when I'm mixing it up. I use it for everything!! I tried the Wilton recipe when I took one of the classes, but I hated the greasy taste.

LovelyCreations Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm
post #26 of 33

Thanks summernoelle and tita!icon_biggrin.gif

panchanewjersey Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #27 of 33

Thanks, sounds good gotta try bc dream recipe.

sshelley Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #28 of 33

I agree with everyone that it taste better with butter. My question is do you have to keep the cake in the refrigerator? and can you add fondont to it.

summernoelle Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #29 of 33

I think putting it in the fridge helps it settle and with bulging issues. There are lots of people who skip the fridge step, and it works fine for them. I am extremely particular about it, because I really think it helps.

Deb_ Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #30 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by abslu

I love the buttercream dream recipe, it uses 1 stick salted, 1 stick unsalted, one cup crisco, milk and vanilla. For me it has the perfect balance of butter taste and vanilla. It smells like a wedding cake when I'm mixing it up. I use it for everything!! I tried the Wilton recipe when I took one of the classes, but I hated the greasy taste.

I also use half salted and half unsalted butter in my BC (along w/shortening)
The salted butter helps to cut some of the sweetness icon_smile.gif I use A LOT of real brown vanilla ext. like 4 -5 tablespoons per 3lbs of PS and 1t of wedding bouquet, that stuff is awesome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%