My First Real Cake!

Decorating By jenniefah Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 12:52am by jenniefah

jenniefah Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:14am
post #1 of 13

I made my first REAL cake today! It wasn't a total disaster. It's not incredible, but not too shabby for my first whack at it! I also made a gumpaste pink elephant. icon_smile.gif Well.. The body for it. I gotta get more colors to finish it off. I HAD to use chocolate icing because thats all the store had and I wasn't ready to make my own yet. But now I see why everyone uses butter cream icon_eek.gif

What do you think? Any suggestions?

12 replies
PatrysV Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:42am
post #2 of 13

Well done!!! I think you did very well! thumbs_up.gif
But, may I ask - icon_confused.gif what is the brown sticking out under the dots?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:25am
post #3 of 13

oh wow you did very well for your first cake.

btw, that's my song for my fiance too. isn't it a beautiful song? icon_smile.gif

imakecakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:39am
post #4 of 13

Great job! Be careful tho', it is a very addicting hobby!!!

I hope you try to make your own buttercream, it's worth it.

Beautiful family!! Ah, to be young again......

tonicake Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:39am
post #5 of 13

You did a very good job for your first cake. The more you do this the better you'll get. Just like any thing else in life. Keep working and you'll get even better with every cake.

Making your own butter cream icing isn't difficult at all. Sharon Zambito has this video to help out for future reference.

You might never go back to store bought icing ever again.

Toni

jenniefah Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:54pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrysV

But, may I ask - icon_confused.gif what is the brown sticking out under the dots?

haha.. It's the chocolate icing. I wasn't sure how I was going to get all the dots to stick.

GIAcakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:00pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniefah

Quote:

haha.. It's the chocolate icing. I wasn't sure how I was going to get all the dots to stick.

Just get a small paintbrush and dab a little water on the back of the polka dots and stick to fondant covered cake!

jenniefah Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:05pm
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniefah

Quote:

Just get a small paintbrush and dab a little water on the back of the polka dots and stick to fondant covered cake!

thats ALL it took!? Jeez. Thanks! I'll remember that for my next experiment cake.

shellzey Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #9 of 13

you did a great job!!!

did you use the chocolate icing to attach your dots? if so, you don't need to. just wet them down with a little water and they will stick just fine.

AdeleP Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 13

Brilliant job on a first cake, the colours work well together!! thumbs_up.gif

nickshalfpint Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:18pm
post #11 of 13

You cake looks a whole lot better than my first "real" cake. That looks better than most of the cakes I saw from my wilton couse 3 class. You did a GREAT job!

BTW your little girl is adorable =)

darandon Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #12 of 13

I love your little elephant. Very cute

jenniefah Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #13 of 13

Thank you everyone! I really appreciate it. I was so down in the dumps because I looked through the gallery for first timers and mine didn't look as good as any of them.

But eh, I like it. icon_smile.gif

I haven't gotten to try it yet. icon_sad.gif It's red velvet, which I've never ever had in my life, but I'm dieting. BOO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%