Fruit Cake

Decorating By Bluesea Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 9:17am by Bluesea

Bluesea Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:34am
post #1 of 4

I am gonna attempt making a X'mas Fruit Cake. While searching the net for baking tips, I came across this tip which I am not too clear:

"Fruitcakes freeze very well; however, they must be aged for at least few weeks before freezing, as they do not mellow and ripen while they are frozen"

What does "aged for at least few weeks before freezing" mean?

My plan was to bake the cake this weekend and serve them at a party on Sept 28. I was gonna wrap the cake and leave it in the freezer after baking. So am quite confused abt the quote above.

Pls explain to me. Thank you.

3 replies
Leigh01 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:53am
post #2 of 4

You "feed" the cake with alcohol (usually Brandy, but can be to your taste) every week. but don't freeze inbetween. Wrap well with wax paper, then tinfoil and then plastic wrap and it will be perfect. Once you cake has matured you can freeze it if wrapped correctly. Don't worry about it going off - the alcohol and the sugar preserves the cake.

LadyMike Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:13am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh01

You "feed" the cake with alcohol (usually Brandy, but can be to your taste) every week. but don't freeze inbetween. Wrap well with wax paper, then tinfoil and then plastic wrap and it will be perfect. Once you cake has matured you can freeze it if wrapped correctly. Don't worry about it going off - the alcohol and the sugar preserves the cake.

You can also wrap it in a brandy or rum soaked cheesecloth in the refrigerator. Change it each week until the cake has "ripened" or "matured".

HTH,
LadyMike icon_smile.gif

Bluesea Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 9:17am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh01

thanks for your quick response. i am not going to add alcohol/brandy to the cake. am only using fruit juice to marinate the fruits. what do i do in this case? do i still need to "feed" the cake with juice? since the serving time is only 1 week from the baking time, can i freeze it immediately after baking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%