Dog Cake

Decorating By puzzlegut Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm by TooMuchCake

puzzlegut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puzzlegut Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:59am
post #1 of 13

I would like to make a dog cake. Basically a cake that looks like the dog is laying down, preferable with his legs on the same side of his body. The cake doesn't need to be big as it'll only serve a few people. Any suggestions on what pans to use? Also, the dog is going to look like an Akita. Should I cover the cake in fondant, or use the hair tip and airbrush it?

12 replies
funsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funsugar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 13

Heres a video i saw of a sculpted dog cake.. its a time lapsed video showing how someone made this cake..

http://sdcakes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=30

its not exactly what you want, but there are techniques you can use such as the hair, eyes, nose, etc.

hope this helps a little

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 13

wow.

puzzlegut Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 13

Thanks for the video. I've seen it before and I might be able to do something like that on a smaller scale. It wouldn't be too different from the frog cake I did recently. Still not sure yet if I want to use fondant or buttercream.

puzzlegut Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 13

Any suggestions on whether I should use fondant or buttercream for the Akita dog cake?

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 13

I wasn't sure what an Akita dog looked like so I looked it up. Since this picture shows a lot of fur, I'd use BC for more textured look as fondant is much more smooth that the dog in this pic. http://www.imagecows.com/uploads/ed22-AKITA%20INU.jpg
If nothing else, it ill give you an idea of the look you're going for, right? HTH thumbs_up.gif

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:48am
post #7 of 13

If you have the time I would suggest ordering TooMuchCake's dvd. In it she shows how to carve/sculpt cakes of animals. I just got her's last week and I would highly recommend it. It was shipped really fast too, I got it in like 2 days!

Here's the link if your interested:

http://www.prettytreats.com/critters.php

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks, Parm!! You know how to get ahold of me if you have any questions, and I'd LOVE to see your carved cakes when you get them done!

Deanna

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:51am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooMuchCake

Thanks, Parm!! You know how to get ahold of me if you have any questions, and I'd LOVE to see your carved cakes when you get them done!

Deanna

Thanks Deanna and yes I will make sure I send you the pics once I get them done!
icon_biggrin.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #10 of 13

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Deanna

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:10am
post #11 of 13

The timelapse is of Elisa Strauss that owns Confetti Cakes. She has been on Food Network and wrote a great book.

Puzzlegut - I would do it in Fondant. Follow the timelapse video for technique and go to town with your veining tool. If you need to do it on a smaller scale, couldnt you put the dog on a rug and the "rug" be more cake?
Oh, it might help you to look up the white tiger on this site. Its laying down (a front and side view). I think the tiger head is rice krispies.

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #12 of 13

Here's a dog cake I did with it laying down. Let me know if this is something like what you want to do!
LL

TooMuchCake Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #13 of 13

Suzted7, I can't see your pic. icon_sad.gif Is it in your photos?

Here's a groom's cake I did recently where the dog is laying a little on its side. It was outdoors, and pretty backlit, so I don't have a really good picture of it, but you can see the right hind paw on the left side. The paws were all piped on.

Deanna
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%