Imbc Please Help Or I Am Going Back To Powdered Sugar!

Decorating By Galler Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 4:45am by ceshell

Galler Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:52am
post #1 of 9

I hate the powdered sugar buttercream so I was going to make IMBC. I tried to make "CakeLove owner Warren Brown" IMBC he has on YouTube and everytime (three times)I added the sugar it turned to soup. Didn't even get a chance to add the butter. First what am I doing wrong?

I have never made IMBC and am very new at this so please excuse the ignorance.

Thanks

8 replies
PinkZiab Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:13am
post #2 of 9

What method are you using to test your sugar (thermometer? Ice water?)? If you're not used to cooking sugar to certain stages then trying to do it without a thermometer is kind of tricky... if you're sure you have the sugar right, and your egg whites and tools were not contaminated with any traces of fat or yolks, then just keep whipping. Whip the hell out of the meringue until it's cool enough to add the butter, then start adding it... it will come together. Once the butter is in, if it's still a little loose, refrigerate it for a while then whip it again. Also, you may want to try a swiss meringue buttercream. Same results, but you cook the egg whites and sugar together over a bain marie, rather than cooking the sugar to soft ball stage.

all4cake Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:36am
post #3 of 9

Something went awry if it went to "soup" even before adding any butter. As PinkZiab stated, contaminates may be a culprit. If that's the case, I would start over.

I have made Mr. Brown's recipe posted on either Epicurious.com or Recipezaar.com. The final result was not what I was after so I sought another recipe.

I find the SMBC recipes are easier to produce than the IMBCs....I cook my egg white/sugar mixture to a considerably higher temp than is called for in most posted recipes though.

An easy SMBC if you like youtube, would be Diane's 1-2-3 SMBC

ceshell Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:40am
post #4 of 9

I'm so sorry you are having problems with your IMBC! The first recipe I ever tried (and I continue to use today) is the Mousseline Buttercream by Rose Levy Beranbaum (the Cake Bible) and it was really quite easy to make, however PinkZiab's tip about the sugar syrup is a good one. I was sure to wait til it reached 248, and added it to my eggs (stiff peaks). Here's the recipe http://www.theregalcourier.com/features/story.php?story_id=116907806079572800

Not that yet ANOTHER recipe will necessarily solve your problems! icon_rolleyes.gif But the only issues I've ever had with this is either the curdling (butter too cold...warmed up the bowl and kept whipping) or soupy mess AFTER adding the butter (butter too warm - chilled the bowl for a good long time, kept whipping). I've always been able to bring it back to life...but I've never experienced the deflated egg whites like you had.

For what it's worth, if you give it another go, I always use pasteurized EW because with IMBC there is no guarantee that your sugar syrup will heat the whipped EW to a safe temperature. SMBC is great for that, you cook the EW themselves to a safe temp, so you can use 'em straight from the shell (and save the yolk for a nice custard or curd). Here's a great thread by jkalman showing step-by-step for SMBC http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-594605.html.

If you stick with IMBC, here's a great thread on decorating with it, which includes lots of tips about making and smoothing IMBC http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=404613&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=imbc&&start=0

Hope something in here helps!!

all4cake Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #5 of 9

sorry Dyann's

Galler Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:04pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone! I am off to the store for more eggs....I will give it another go...

Galler Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:05am
post #7 of 9

I made SMBC and I am hooked! Love love love it. Thanks!

all4cake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:14am
post #8 of 9

Well, alright! Sounds like all turned out well.

ceshell Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 4:45am
post #9 of 9

Hooray!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%