Questions About Storing Hi-Ratio Shortening

Decorating By Cascades Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm by mkolmar

Cascades Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:52am
post #1 of 4

The only place around here sells the hi-ratio shortening by the 50 lb case.
I really love the stuff, but my problems is that it says on the box to store at 70 to 75 degree temperatures.

My commercial kitchen is very hot when not in use---- WELL above those temperatures. Can it be stored and still be alright in the refrigerator. I lost quite a bit of my last case when I went on vacation and forgot that it got so hot in my kitchen.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Cascades

3 replies
ceshell Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 7:59am
post #2 of 4

The cake supply store near me sells it in 1lb containers (you don't want to know how much $$ they mark it up icon_lol.gif) and they keep them in the fridge. I believe you can freeze it too, just portion it out into smaller packages and wrap tightly before freezing. Please someone correct me if I am wrong, I am just passing along what I recall having read here on CC.

LadyMike Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:58am
post #3 of 4

I'd really like to know the answer to this as well.

I'd also like to know how long it stays good, both before and after opening.

It would be absolutely wonderful if you actually can freeze it. How long could you keep it frozen (if you can freeze it), or keep it refrigerated (if you can refrigerate it)??? icon_confused.gif

Thanks for the thread Cascades! And, ceshell, thanks for the info. Hopefully someone can verify this. thumbs_up.gif

LadyMike icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 4

You can put it into the fridge or the freezer. I use the big 5 gallon plastic ice cream containers to freeze it in.

Once opened high-ratio is good for 1 year left out at room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%