Need Help With Wedding Cake...please!!

Decorating By diana83 Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 3:04am by deliciously_decadent

diana83 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:57am
post #1 of 10

this lady wants this cake for a wedding but she only wants a 2 tier cake just like in this pic, but she wants red roses, i told her $2.00 per slice but i did not think about the cake board since it is like 2 or 3 $'s and she want me to deliver too it will feed 30 people... so what do you experts think?
LL

9 replies
diana83 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:01am
post #2 of 10

also, how do you make those litlle balls with butter cream on the border, i really don't want to use fondant since she is only going to pay $2 per slice. but i wnder if the balls will look the same.... icon_cry.gif

sari66 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #3 of 10

Sorry can't see the pic to help you out

mandysue Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 10

I'm terrible with pricing, but I have made balls with buttercream. I just used a large round tip and made balls. They won't be as precise, and you might have to go back after they've crusted and smooth off any tip, but they'll be fine.

Mandy

liapsim Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #5 of 10

I deliver within a 10 mile radius for free. After that, there is a per 5 mile charge of $6.00. So 10 more miles would be $12.

And I do the same thing as Mandysue on the buttercream balls.

HTH!!!

diana83 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:29am
post #6 of 10

Thank you all for helping!

Swede-cakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:39am
post #7 of 10

First, don't panic. icon_smile.gif

Last week, I booked an order for a small wedding cake such as the one you're doing. 30 servings, and it'll be a 6" and 8". But my bride wants 3 tiers so I'm topping it with a little 4" cake for her and the groom to share as their own dessert that day. I deliver free within my town, but it's $1/mile roundtrip to anywhere else.

I make those BC balls/pearls; put around 300 of them on an anniversary cake once!

Two ways: Using your large round tip, with your tip close to the surface, squeeze out the size pearl you want. But release the bag pressure and pause before pulling the tip away or you'll get those pesky little "BC nurpples". You can just pat 'em down with some cornstarch on your finger, though.

Or, use the same instructions as above, but instead of lifting your tip up and off, quickly bring it down the right side of the pearl to the cake surface as you let up on the pressure. Kind of like writing a cursive "a" with the little tail at the bottom. The next ball will cover the end of the previous pearl. You need to keep the pearls close with no gaps, or they won't look round.

I don't know if I explained this well enough. Some things are better off seen. Hth!

robinscakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 10

It's a relatively simple cake, so I think your price is okay. The cake boards I use are higher than $2 or $3--more like $10. But, you could always say you forgot to add on for that. What about the internal support. Did you factor that in? I think the beading could easily be done with buttercream. With the price of gas lately, I'd add on for delivery unless it's on your way home! I have a wedding cake for this Saturday and it's 1/4 mile from my bakery. I'm still charging $20 for my time and a little bit of gas.

diana83 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #9 of 10

ok. i need to learn all those abbreviations here. so i know what everyone is saying...l.o.l thanks

deliciously_decadent Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:04am
post #10 of 10

I can't see the pic? $2 per slice sounds very cheap, i charge $2.50 a slice for undecorated cakes then add delivery, basic decoration is $3.50 p/slice up to mini cakes at $10 each. then i add $1 per k/m one way for travel and $50 for sundries like water electricity cake boards etc. It also depends on your serving slice size too i suppose. mine is 1.5 inches by 2 inches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%