Sprinkles Sweating On Cupcakes

Decorating By clmiller1206 Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 3:14am by clmiller1206

clmiller1206 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:33am
post #1 of 5

Helpful advice needed for this newbie...

I have a contract to deliver 20 dozen (yes, thats 240!) cupcakes to a local place of business each month for their employees. I have been using shallow plastic storage boxes to transport these since they have handles and are much easier to carry than multiple cake boxes. I have been baking on Saturday, frosting with sprinkles on Sunday and delivering on Monday.

The problem is...by the time I get them delivered on Monday morning, many of the sprinkles have practically melted from the moisture. The BC frosting is okay - still soft, but the cupcake tops that show underneath the frosting are a little sticky. I have never had this problem with the standard cake boxes and I'm sure that humidity is to blame for this, but don't know how to prevent it. I don't have enough space in my fridge to store all of these cupcakes.

Any feedback would be welcome - I have tried searching the forums but haven't seen this specific topic. I have been completely hooked on this website since joining a couple of weeks ago - my husband is starting to wonder about me. I have already learned a lot from everyone else's posts. Thanks!

4 replies
sweetcakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:48am
post #2 of 5

dont put the lids on the plastic containers , its causing the cupcakes to sweat. leave off until delivery.

fiddlesticks Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:56am
post #3 of 5

I agree dont use the lid , They will be just fine,If you have to, lay a very loose peace of plastic wrap on the top after they crust just dont seal the side down so they still get air.

indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:02am
post #4 of 5

agree with sweetcakes. Dont' worry about no refrigeration unless you're using a perishable icing or filling in them. I never refrigerate my cakes.

clmiller1206 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:14am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your speedy responses! Wish I had known it this morning when I delivered. I had thought about leaving the lids off, but was afraid they would get TOO dry since the cake part is not completely covered. I will take your advice next time. You guys are awesome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%