Help With Home Bakery

Business By mandy711 Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 5:42pm by UltimateCakes

mandy711 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:03am
post #1 of 10

MY NAME IS MANDY AND I PLAN TO CLOSE IN MY 2 GARAGE AND START A CAKE DECORATING BUSINESS. I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO SET IT UP AS FAR AS SPACE PLANNING, COLORS, ECT. I HAVE SEARCHED FOR PICTURES OF HOME BAKERIES HERE AND I CANT FIND ONE!! I DONT KNOW HOW I SHOULD SET IT UP....WHAT SUPPLIES ARE A MUST, ECT! I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP! icon_biggrin.gif

9 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #2 of 10

I'm not sure, but most states/counties require bakeries/restaurants to be set up a certain way with regard to the sinks, ovens, drains, etc. You may need to contact a county office of some sort before you start building. I'm sure someone else will chime in here and fill in my blanks with their expertise too. icon_smile.gif

What state are you in, by the way?

FromScratch Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:43am
post #3 of 10

Yes.. call your state office.. either Department of Agriculture or Department of Health and Human services. Depending on your state's reg's you will have a better idea of what you will have to do. Some states will allow you to have non-commercial equipment and sell to the public, but other's will require you have a full fledged commercial grade kitchen and some will say not at all if it is on residential property. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:13am
post #4 of 10

agree. My health dept had to approve my floor plans. What they are looking for is "food flow". It should be a logical flow of incoming to outgoing.

For example, my 3 sinks and my commercial dishwasher had to be set up "From dirty to clean". This is so the dirty dishes dont' get mixed in with the clean ones ... a logical sequence of events that moves the dirty dishes down the assembly line to the clean station.

Also, that your refrigeration is logical...... I helped one person with flloor plans and to get to her refrigeration, she had to go around two counters, down a hall and around a corner. The HD would not likely approve this because it's too inconvenient .... you would be very likely to just sit 3 dz eggs on the counter for an extended period of time, instead of getting just what you need at that moment. No room temp eggs allowed here, so that would be a big no-no. The kitchen should be set up in a logical work-flow sequence for food safety.

My HD also caught the fact that my kitchen designer didnt' plan in the grease trap that I needed .. an extra $1000 I didnt' plan on spending!

Cakery Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:49pm
post #5 of 10

I took a one car garage and converted it into my cake/shop kitchen. Like indidebi.....I had to show my floor plans to the HD. They came in and even looked the whole garage over before we even began to build....making sure there was no old oils, etc...that might come through the flooring, etc. They had a list of do's and dont's for me to follow to the T. What kind of paint, lights, sinks, etc. A great thing....the HD was thrilled that I was allowing their input...and they told me ALL the little things I could get by with and they would still pass and it saved me some major $$$'s! The main thing is to talk with them.....get all the regulations and rules of what is required in your state, etc. They did tell me about the GREASE TRAP....so I made sure I got one in time when the plumber put in the plumbing.

I love my shop....and I have the best of both worlds.....my cake business and yet close to home!!!

mandy711 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 12:41am
post #6 of 10

I WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE ANY PICTURES OF YOUR HOME OR COMMERCIAL BAKERIES! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU IN ADVANCE!! icon_biggrin.gif

jjandhope Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:40am
post #8 of 10

What is the square footage of your kitchen, indydebi?

indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:09am
post #9 of 10

my entire space is 1150 square feet. It's split between kitchen and front area about 60/40. I have plenty of walking around space, but wish I had space for one more work table and a couple more shelves.

UltimateCakes Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:42pm
post #10 of 10

What items are a must? A stove, sink, refrigerator (preferably a walk-in) and a counter top to decorate. LOL - I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the urge to be sarcastic. icon_evil.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%