Need Tried And Tested Spice Cake Recipe!

Decorating By anku Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm by momma28

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #1 of 6

Most of the recipes I have found have either pumpkin or carrot. I would like a plain spice cake preferably with cake mix.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

5 replies
Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 6

The Whimisacal Bakehouse Spice cake recipe is delicious, I used it with a cinnamon B/C. I'll dig it out if you need it, but sorry it's all from scratch.

Sue

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #3 of 6

You can add apple or pumpkin pie *spice* mix to a yellow cake. I've done it a time or two.
Find a scratch recipe for spice cake and add just the amounts & types of spices called for there to a yellow, fr. van. or white mix.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #4 of 6

My daughter loves spice cake, it is all she wants and has actually got all her friends to liking it. I use the box mix and add the normal ingredients plus a cup of sourcream and 1 package of apple cider mix. (single serving of powder form) I get it in the hot cocoa area of the grocery store. Its really good.

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you everybody for your thoughts! I'll surely try something out with the Apple cider mixicon_smile.gif

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 10:07pm
post #6 of 6

I used this recipe for a wedding cake I recently made. It is absolutely delicious, got rave reviews at the reception of 350! I had actually made three different flavored cakes (one for each tier and then there were sheet cakes to feed the masses)

Buttermilk Spice Cake

2.5 cups AP flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar packed
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
3 eggs

oven temp 350

In medium bowl combine eggs and 1/3 cup buttermilk. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl combine the dry ingredients, mix on low speed for 30 seconds to blend. Add the butter (room temp) and the remaining buttermilk (1 cup). Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened. Increase speed to medium (high speed if using hand mixer) and beat for 1 1/2 minutes to develope the cakes structure. Scrape down the sides. Gradually add the egg mixture in three batches scraping down the sides and beating for 20 seconds after each addition. Scrape batter into prepared pans (I usually spray with bakers secret and line bottom w parchment). For two 8 inch pans bake 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.

This recipe is melt in your mouth delicious but still strong enough to stack well. Hope this helps. (I usually cover with white chocolate cream cheese buttercream)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%