Power To The People

Decorating By leah_s Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 12:56am by ac2steachk

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 16

Unfortunately 300,000 people in Louisville, KY are without power, and I'm one of them. Using an unsecured network that I "found." This is going to get interesting in that the mayor has said power may not be fully restored for 10-14 days. Only 1 wedding this weekend, but 5 next weekend.

15 replies
levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #2 of 16

Let's hope they get us restored soon...my office downtown has power, but things are a mess at my house (literally...it will be weeks to clean this up). I heard the 10-14 days thing from the mayor at the press conference this morning and just wanted to cry.

Hang in there (this is what I keep repeating to myself over and over).

Kahuna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kahuna Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 16

Oh that is soooo miserable, I live if FL so have had some long periods without power and it is awful!! Try to find a generator or someone with gas so you can at least have a hot shower!!! I'm so sorry and hope it comes back on soon.

leah_s Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:58pm
post #4 of 16

We're not as bad off as others, in that we have a rental house that still has power, so we've sort of moved in there. Fortunately, our renter moved out Sunday morning. But it's not set up to bake cakes in the amount I bake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:00pm
post #5 of 16

Wow so sorry, Cake-Buddies. I've been there too. We've gone weeks without power when we've had weather related disasters-- no fun.

Take Care!!!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #6 of 16

Sorry to hear that, but happy to know that you're ok!

pkinkema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pkinkema Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 16

Bummer! I live in Fort Worth and we're getting lots of evacuees from the Texas Gulf. My sister, in Houston, may be without power for 3-4 weeks!

Anyway we can help ya? I'll be happy to send ya some bc or cake!!!!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:41pm
post #8 of 16

That's terrible! I'm in Bloomington, IN and while the weather hasn't been great... we haven't been having power outages (just 2 hours north of Louisville). I hope that the power gets turned back on sooner! Goodluck!!

leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #9 of 16

6 days without power in my kitchen and sort of living in our rental house, but at 6:10 pm Saturday night we have power! I'm making cookies to deliver to whatever power crews I can find tomorrow.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #10 of 16

When I read you 1st post I was wondering if they would have power back when I get to the area in 3 wks icon_smile.gif
Glad to hear it's up. No fun living w/o....especially when you have wedding cakes!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:48am
post #11 of 16

I really feel for all of you, thank God you are alright. Keep us posted, it never ceases to amaze me, how strong everyone is in the face of disasters.
Bless you all.

leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

When I read you 1st post I was wondering if they would have power back when I get to the area in 3 wks icon_smile.gif
Glad to hear it's up. No fun living w/o....especially when you have wedding cakes!

There are still 52,000 people without power here. The city officials say it's the largest diaster/power outage we're ever had. I think we're only had four deaths, amazingly. One a lineman who touched a live wire, one a 10 yo boy out in his yard when a flying tree branch struck him and two people who put a generator inside their house.

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 16

Glad to hear your lights are back up! We were without power for 7 days here in North Houston. My power went out during a Friday Night Cake Club thread, and came back up during the next one. It really makes you appreciate the lights!

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:43pm
post #14 of 16

Hey y'all Glad to hear everyone is alive and well. Seriously, if there is anything we can do/ send let us know! I have a very close friend living in Tomball. I have been scared to death for her. Last I heard she was ok but haven't heard anything in the last 3 or four days. Beginning to be worried! Y'all be careful out there!

levinea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
levinea Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:44am
post #15 of 16

We finally got power yesterday afternoon, thank goodness! It's so nice to feel like I'm living in this century again.

Although it makes me ill to think of all the food we had to throw out of our fridge. I threw out 4 lbs of butter alone, 4 tubs of sour cream, and a huge amount of buttercream icing out of the freezer...*sigh* Suddenly my cake decorating habit seems much more expensive!

ac2steachk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ac2steachk Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:56am
post #16 of 16

I skipped out of town for a few days since we didn't have school. My aunt, uncle, and cousins took over my house since I did get my power back earlier in the week. Getting back to town at 7pm on Sunday night, they are still at my house and still have no sign of power at theirs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%