Is Pearl Edible Spray The Same As Silver? I Need Silver...

Decorating By Moniquea Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 3:32am by tlreetz

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 15

I'm trying to find edible silver spray for a cake and am having a hard time. One sight shows gold and pearl together but I'm not sure they're the same...any experience?

Thanks!

14 replies
PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 15

Nope... silver is silver, pearl is pearl. Look for Luck's brand. I KNOW they make a silver airbrush color, for sure.

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #3 of 15

AmeriColor also makes a great silver airbrush color. And they make the BEST gold and Pearl. They all had them at ICES this year and they were the best - hands down!!

Moniquea Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 15

Thank you! Unfortunately I don't have a sprayer so I need it in a can. I can't seem to find it on-line for less than $35 or in the UK.

Does anyone have a link they can share?

Thanks again!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 15

There is actually something that you can get at Home Depot to make the spray can yourself. All you would need is the luster dust (you can mix it with Vodka or lemon extract & then put it inside this thing to make it spray). Unfortunately I can't remember what this thing is called, but I'm sure that would know what it is if you ask them, I believe it's in the paint section & under $10.00. Or perhaps...this may trigger someone else's memory & they'll post the name of the thing. Sorry I couldn't help completely but hopefully that tidbit of info will get you somewhere!

Moniquea Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm
post #6 of 15

OMG! That would be great, I'll look into it ASAP icon_smile.gif Thank you!

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 15

AZCakeGirl means the Prevail sprayer.
http://www.ippnet.com/EN/main/products/15529/16267.html

I would try the airbrush silver in the Prevail. The luster wont give as much coverage or as true a color, and would be more expensive.

http://www.intotheoven.com/p2030/Silver-Sheen-4.5-oz-AmeriMist/product_info.html

There is a silver spray that comes in a can, but is really expensive. http://www.bakedeco.com/detail.asp?id=10001&catid=612

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 15

Try the luster sprays that PME makes. I have the pearl, gold and a blue one and love them. They do have a silver.

I've checked a few sites that have them (Global Sugar Arts, Country Kitchen Sweet Art, etc) but nobody is showing that they have the silver. I wonder if they're out for now? I know they have it because it was at ICES....or I was losing my mind. Which is a possible option.

SweetArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetArt Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbaker

Try the luster sprays that PME makes. I have the pearl, gold and a blue one and love them. They do have a silver.

I've checked a few sites that have them (, Country Kitchen Sweet Art, etc) but nobody is showing that they have the silver. I wonder if they're out for now? I know they have it because it was at ICES....or I was losing my mind. Which is a possible option.

I thought they had a silver too, but it's the pearl can that has a silver colored label. That's what confused me.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:01pm
post #10 of 15

Are you looking for silver shimmer or gold shimmer, check Global Sugar Arts, Country Kitchen I think Lucks makes it.

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:04pm
post #11 of 15

Ahhh. They got me. icon_lol.gif

Hey - how are you doing? icon_smile.gif

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:20pm
post #12 of 15

Lucks airbrush colors is what I use...awesome!!!
www.lucks.com just register with them to see the prices!

Moniquea Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:13pm
post #13 of 15

Thank you all icon_smile.gif I don't plan on investing in a sprayer soon so I'll probably have to fork over the $35 plus shipping for the one I found
https://www.shopchefrubber.com/product.php?printable=Y&productid=7050&js=n

Seems a shame for a simple coating but this is an important cake for me so this is a good problem icon_smile.gif

I haven't check on the sprayer thing at home depot yet so I'll look into that but it seemed the prevail sprayer was mostly in Canada, which I'd love to visit icon_wink.gif

Best wishes to all of you, thanks for your help icon_smile.gif

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:42am
post #14 of 15

Yep....Prevail sprayer, that's what i was thinking of! What a great tip to use the airbrush color in there instead, I think I might go buy one of those things myself since my airbrush likes to get clogged whenever I put the glittery colors in it.

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:32am
post #15 of 15

I have 2 airbrushes, a Pasche (19.99 at Hobby Lobby) and a PowerCat ($30 on eBay). I love them both and use them on every cake I make! I have never had them clog.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%