Do You Cut The Top Off?

Baking By LoriMc Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 12:04am by burgderb

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 11

What is the professional way to decorate cupcakes? When I look at cupcakes from the Cupcake Cafe NYC website, it looks like the top is flat. Is this what you are supposed to do?

10 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 11

some people bake them up that way......others like a mound on top.......I think it's all a personal preference

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #3 of 11

I think I answered my own question. I made fall floral cupcakes today and the ones I cut the top off of looked a lot better. You can probably see in the photo.
LL

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:40am
post #4 of 11

IF I want a cupcake to be flat, I bake it at 325 for about 5 minutes longer than indicated in the recipe.

If I want a dome, I bake them at 400 for 10 or 15 minutes. I just keep an eye on them.

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:22pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriMc

What is the professional way to decorate cupcakes? When I look at cupcakes from the Cupcake Cafe NYC website, it looks like the top is flat. Is this what you are supposed to do?

I ususally don't. I think it depends on how you want to decorate them. If you are putting flowers on them, I think it would be best to trim off the top. If you are doing a simple swirl, i would leave on the dome.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:20pm
post #6 of 11

The instructions for cupcake cakes state to put a board on top, just after they come out of the oven to make them flat and even.

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:42pm
post #7 of 11

I normally bake mine for the dome effect. I even leave it on when I am adding flowers.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 11

This thread reminds me of the Seinfeld episode about the muffin tops.

"It's the best part. It's where the muffin breaks free of the pan and sort of does its own thing!"

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 11

Dont you just love Seinfeld! LOL I love that show. I only watch the reruns on TBS these days.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm
post #10 of 11

I know! I miss it so much! icon_cry.gif

burgderb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
burgderb Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:04am
post #11 of 11

If I want them flat I use WASC and only fill the cups 2/3 full, they always come out nice and flat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%