Please Reply If You Bake And Sell Cookies From Home

Baking By sugargirl4 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm by yankeegal

sugargirl4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugargirl4 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 3

Hi ~

I'm doing research into starting a home-based cookie business.
Something small, at first, probably four or five types of cookies.

I live in a state that permits this, due to the cottage food laws.

I would love to hear from you if you do this as extra money from home.
I have two children in school and this would be perfect for me.

PM me if you want.

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

2 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #2 of 3

I too live in Ohio, northeastern corner near Pa and Lake Erie and I also operate under the cottage food laws (gotta love the Amish for that one!) Anyhow, business is really good right now. Sometimes too good (because I rarely EVER have a weekend with no cake orders). I have 3 children, they are all in school now 4th grade,1st grad, and Kindergarten and I work at their school MTW all day and Th. and Fri. just in the mornings (because of the whole cake thing) and it works out great for me. I usually go to people for wedding cake consultations (convenient for them and me) oh yeah you're just doing cookies. I would suggest taking in a plate of cookies at your kids' school maybe with a little brochure (easy to make on the pc) of your prices and what you offer. Everyone loves free samples and with the holiday season coming you can make a killing with homemade goodies!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:22pm
post #3 of 3

Hi there!
I do cookies out of my home-licensed by the state (Maine) I do it as a part-time job and love it. I started by handing out samples everywhere I went...and business just grew from there.
My one suggestion would be to price your cookies accordingly and stick to your prices!!! Some people have no idea how much work they are.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%