Arrrggh! Cake Competition Tomorrow - No Ideas!

Decorating By SweetResults Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 12:38pm by SweetResults

SweetResults Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 9

Okay - I was hoping to be inspired by now, but I am not.

Any ideas for a competition cake for a state fair? We are going to the Big E in West Springfield MA TOMORROW! icon_eek.gif I still have no ideas for a cake that shows "Fun at the Big E". I've never been, it's a big state fair, I just have nothing, my 6 year old is entering and his idea is all set, so I may just scrap the entry fee and forget it, but I'd like to at least bring something.

Anyone have any ideas? And I know - I'm totally crazy. icon_rolleyes.gif

8 replies
KHalstead Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 9

it has to be really cake???

shanasweets Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #3 of 9

you could always do state fair things, food, or amusment rides, . Not sure you have time for gumpaste stuff. but that's all can come up with right now.

fondantgrl Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:31pm
post #4 of 9

When I enter in the State Fair, I search for ideas the day after New Year's Day.. CA STATE FAIR is August BTW.. I practice and test for seven months, until I perfect the recipe that I like to enter.

Don't you fill out an entry form with your cake name and all that months b4 ? including Cake Flavor and name ? Because that is what we do here in CA months b4 the actual Competition. To me it sounds like you are not prepared, and that can be very nerve wracking..

Is it a specific flavor you are looking for ? is this purely decorating ? or is it mainly on taste ? Usually taste and decorating do not go hand in hand. But your entry has to have good appearance even if it's mainly on flavor, texture, crumb and taste. Well good luck .. thumbs_up.gif

SweetResults Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:51pm
post #5 of 9

It does have to be real cake, it will not be eaten, only judged on decoration only, so I don't have to worry about a recipe.

It is the first time they have cake decorating, so all we had to do is fill out the form by August - and I have been trying to come up with something since then (and before) with no real luck. My 6 year old has his design and is ready to finish it today.

I am really not stressing about it, I had so many large cakes the past 4 weeks that I just have not had time to really do anything on it, so I figure if I can pull something off today I will, if not we will just bring my son's cake - of course it is 1 1/2 hours away as well. It was $10 to enter, so if I don't I'm not really losing anything as they sent me free tickets to get in and those are $15 each.

I could do a basket of pumpkins or apples or something - but I was just trying to come with something different.

I found a picture of this concession stand on the fair website and was thinking of making this - what do you think? I know I am putting WAAAYYYY too much thought into this. icon_rolleyes.gif

SweetResults Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 9

And once again - yes I am totally, completely crazy.

DH is away and I am a night owl, so it is possible for me to pull "something" off tonight if I get inspired and be ready to leave by 1:00 tomorrow afternoon.

kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:14pm
post #7 of 9

Laura, that sure is going to be awesome if you pull it officon_smile.gif
I can totally see it in cake/icingicon_smile.gif

SweetResults Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #8 of 9

I have baked mine - but that's it - but my 6 year old it having the TIME OF HIS LIFE doing his cake! It is SO WORTH IT! He frosted, did his own fondant and just finished air brushing - now he has his fondant ferris wheel to make - oh he is cracking me up!!!! icon_biggrin.gif I will be sure to post pictures of his cake as well!

SweetResults Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:38pm
post #9 of 9

Well I just got too tired last night and was just not motivated enough - I have 2 other cakes (actual PAID ones LOL!) for this weekend, so I did the smart thing FOR A CHANGE and did not make a cake.

I never do the right thing for ME, normally I would have stayed up all night, had a disaster of a house and been rushing around like a maniac to finish it then running to pick up the kids and driving one and half hours and ending up being late and panicked.

So for once in my life, I did the smart thing. I am bummed I could not get excited about doing a cake for this, but glad I made the smart choice and preserved my sanity.

I will post a picture of my DS's cake tho - it is an adorable mess LOL!

Oh well - at least I can scope it out for next year, maybe the theme will be more inspirational for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%