How Would You Support/anchor This?

Decorating By ThreeDGirlie Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 1:42am by SugarFrosted

ThreeDGirlie Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 11

I'm making a cake for a friend, and she is picking it up from me on Friday then taking it to the party venue on Saturday. I want to make sure she doesn't have any sliding.

It's just a simple 12x18 sheet cake (2" tall cake, so maybe 2.5" finished height) with a "3" carved out of cake (about 1.5" tall) on top of it.

Originally I was going to put the "3" on the cardboard template/cake board I made to cut it out and just set it on top of the sheet cake. But now I'm not the one transporting it (she moved dates and I'll be out of town, hence not going to the party). I'm afraid of the "3" sliding off of the sheet cake.

So I was thinking maybe skipping the board under the "3" and then using some stirring straws under some of the decoration to "pin" it to the sheet cake underneath. I'll already have 3 of these in there since I have three "floating" butterflies for the cake...

Does this make sense? Good idea? OK sto go without the cake board since it's a short cake? Or how would YOU do it?

Thanks!

10 replies
ThreeDGirlie Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone???

bashini Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #3 of 11

Hi, if a cake goes on top of another, regardless the size, you have to put a board under the cake that goes on the top. Then you have put dowels/ straws in the middle where the top cake goes on. If you have covered it with fondant, use a bit of Royal Icing under the top cake. But if you have doweled, you don't have to worry about sliding.

Is it a round cake that goes on the top? If so, you can use a centre dowel, and put something on the top to cover the hole.

Hope all this make sence to you.

icon_smile.gif

ThreeDGirlie Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 11

Here is my sketch that I am working off of. The base cake is a 12x18 sheet cake. The "3" on top is the carved cake. It will be all BC icing, with RI butterflies and daisies.

What is the best way to make sure the "3" cake on it's board stays put?
LL

bashini Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 11

Hi, I would definitely put support ( dowels) under the "3", at least 6 dowels in the shape of the "3". icon_smile.gif

ThreeDGirlie Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 11

OK, so I will use straws and a board to support the "3" as I had originally planned.

Then I'll probably use a dowel through both cakes at the top and bottom to make sure it stays put. Think that will work?

BabyBear3 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 11

I think it will work just fine. I don't see any reason as to why the 3 would move around. I've never had an issue with it "sliding" off the dowels. The icing under the cake board should make it stick enough that it won't move.

stlouiscake Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #8 of 11

Maybe I'm missing something, but....how is this different from putting a single layer on top of another layer to make a two-layer cake. I don't put dowels in the bottom single layer. I really don't see why the "3" would move or slip. If you were originally thinking of not putting the "3" on its' own board, I think you were right.

DianeLM Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouiscake

Maybe I'm missing something, but....how is this different from putting a single layer on top of another layer to make a two-layer cake. I don't put dowels in the bottom single layer. I really don't see why the "3" would move or slip. If you were originally thinking of not putting the "3" on its' own board, I think you were right.

I agree with you in general. A single cake layer doesn't need to be supported on top of another single cake layer.

In this case, the only reason, IMO, there should be a board under the "3" is because it will be very difficult to move the cut-out 3 to the top of the other cake and even more difficult to decorate it once it's on top of the other cake.

ThreeDGirlie Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #10 of 11

That was exactly my thinking with the board in the first place - it's all about getting the carved 3 on and off of the sheet cake!

I worry a lot more about that slipping than I would if it were just cake on icing though. The coefficient of friction of cake vs. cardboard and all...

HA - Who says I won't need my engineering background to make cakes? icon_razz.gif

SugarFrosted Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 1:42am
post #11 of 11

I made a cake very similar to the one you have described. I used a 12x18 on bottom and a 9x13 carved to look like "100" on top, for a 100th birthday. I used no support board nor dowels under the 100. It traveled in a car about 200 miles with no problems. It's just like a two layer cake, why would you need support?
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%