Ultimate Sugar Cookie Recipe

Baking By alaurence Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm by KellJ

alaurence Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #1 of 7

I'm making sugar cookies for my mother's 50th birthday party. I'm cutting out poodles and jukeboxes to go with the sock hop theme. What is the absolute best recipe for sugar cookies that are sturdy and won't spread? The sugar cookies I've made in the past for Christmas or whatever tasted fine, but they were always thin and unlike the ones in cookie bouquets, etc.

Also, I'd like to bake them now and freeze them for 2 weeks. Is this possible and does it make a difference it its decorated or not? If you have a good cookie icing recipe that hardens well, I could use that too.

6 replies
tx_cupcake Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 7

I LOVE Penny's recipe:

The only thing I change is instead of 2 tbsp whipping cream, I add 1 tbsp french vanilla coffee creamer. This is by far the best recipe I have found.

I also use Antonia's RI recipe, but with Penny's glaze.

JoAnnB Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 7

I also like Penney's recipe.

And Yes, they will freeze before or after the base icing in on the cookies.

Joanne914 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 7

I always use NFSC, but since several of you stated that you used Penny's recipe, I looked at it. It is almost identical to the NFSC recipe, except for the addition of cream, and the omission of salt. No wonder they are both great recipes! (I'm wondering what the addition of cream does to the dough? Guess I'll have to throw some in the next time I'm making it and see for myself!)

cylstrial Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:33pm
post #6 of 7

This is great! I've been looking for a super sugar cookie recipe for a long time!! Thanks for starting this thread and for those who answered it. I can't wait to try the cookies!

KellJ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #7 of 7

Penny's is the best but I only re-roll my dough once maybe twice. If you do any more the dough can become a little gummy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%