Battling The Heat

Decorating By alaurence Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm by Cyndi1207

alaurence Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 6

This past weekend, I made my first wedding cake. All went well until the actual reception. It was outdoors and although it was under a gazebo, this is Alabama and it was 90 and breezy. By the time the cake was fully assembled and finished off, it started to melt. By the end of the reception, the icing had mostly slid off the cake. Fortunately this was not a stuffy affair and they didn't seem to mind. They just took pictures early and cut and plated it sooner than they planned. It tasted great and they were pleased. (I guess they figured it was their own fault for marrying outside in the summer heat.)

So, lesson learned. For future reference, is there a buttercream recipe (or any icing recipe for that matter) that withstands heat better? This one tasted awesome, but it just could not take the warmth at all.

5 replies
alaurence Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 6

Does fondant do better in heat than buttercream?

Deb_ Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:15pm
post #3 of 6

Aaaaggghhhh, every cake decorator's worst nightmare icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I'm sorry this happened to you.

Yes, fondant does hold up better for an outdoors/hot/humid Wedding or event. That being said though, there are some BC recipes on here that are recommended for hot/humid conditions. One is indydebi's foolproof buttercream, and there are others.

Does the recipe you use have butter and shortening or all of one?

sari66 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:16pm
post #4 of 6

a butter cream using hi-ratio or fondant would be better in the heat

alaurence Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 6

My recipe used half butter, half shortening. Which is better for heat - more shortening or more butter?

Cyndi1207 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:01pm
post #6 of 6

More shortening is better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%