Wilton Fondant Mat Question

Decorating By kellertur Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 12:38pm by lilmansmum

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 11

Hello,
I have the Wilton "fondant Fun" mat and have a question:

How do you not have it move all around the table when you are using it?? I've tried taping the edges, but that doesn't work for long...
What do you do? icon_confused.gif

This is probably REALLY obvious dunce.gif and I'm just "missing it" (perhaps because I decorate at midnight and am over-tired???)

Thanks in advance ~

10 replies
kellertur Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:56pm
post #2 of 11

It's the Wilton: "cut and roll" mat... It says "fondant fun" in center of mat.

Anyone? ((( Echo ))) icon_smile.gif

jenny518 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenny518 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:25pm
post #3 of 11

I discovered by accident that getting your counter slightly wet underneath it helps it to stay in place. I have used this a couple of times now and I don't think it works that great. It really gets lots of little wrinkles in it when I wash it. I may use it to make my fondant and gumpaste accent pieces, but I think I'll order a silicone Ateco for rolling out.

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 11

The Wilton mat is junk. thumbsdown.gif That's why it doesn't work. lol

Get yourself the blue silicone Ateco mat. It is WONDERFUL. icon_smile.gif

Copacabanya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Copacabanya Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 11

I use the Wilton mat all the time, even bought more expensive ones and keep coming back to it. I use blue painters tape to tape the corners down, that way it holds it in place but doesn't put any sticky residue on my corners or my table.

HTH!

Anya

Cyndi1207 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cyndi1207 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:45pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmansmum

The Wilton mat is junk. thumbsdown.gif That's why it doesn't work. lol

Get yourself the blue silicone Ateco mat. It is WONDERFUL. icon_smile.gif

Exactly what she just said. Junk, junk, junk.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:07pm
post #7 of 11

Because I live in Canada I can't get the Ateco mat because the shipping and duties are way too much. At this point I only use fondant for accent pieces anyway so I bought a silicone cookie sheet liner and it works great!! It's a lot smaller than the Ateco mat but it works a lot better than the Wilton mat!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 11

Yeah, I didn't like the wilton one either - at all! but couldn't justify shelling out $50 for a mat. So I went down to Wal-mart and got a yard of the vinyl - BEST MAT EVER!!! I LOVE IT!!

ATCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ATCakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:58pm
post #9 of 11

I tape the Wilton may to a piece of clear vinyl and tape it to the counter. I also don't roll up any of my mats. I use a plastic pants hanger with the metal clips to hang them up & keep them flat.

kellertur Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #10 of 11

thanks for the info ~
I can't tell you how frustrating it is to be pressed for time and also be fussing with that mat icon_mad.gif . Sounds silly to get upset over that, but late at night it's not fun to have that thing sliding all over the place.

I have tried taping it with different tapes, but no dice... I can't afford an expensive mat either, so I may look into the vinyl.

thanks again ~ icon_smile.gif

lilmansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmansmum Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:38pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, I didn't like the wilton one either - at all! but couldn't justify shelling out $50 for a mat.

I only paid $27.90 for my mat at cakedeco.com. Here's the link: http://www.cakedeco.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_prod.html?p_prodid=8290&p_catid=&page=1

They also have them at Into The Oven for $33.95....Here's the link to that one: http://www.intotheoven.com/p1356/Silicone-Work-Mat---24%22-x-36%22/product_info.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%