House Cake

Decorating By aligotmatt Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 11:48am by tonicake

aligotmatt Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 8

I made a cake for a Habitat for Humanity event to celebrate the groundbreaking of their 100th house.

This cake took so much preparation! I bought a sheet of masonite and cut the boards for the layers. I also used my awesome geometry skills to cut the wood and build the roof out of masonite. The cake was 2 layers, so I put one down, pillared, put the next one, pillared, then put the roof on.

I crumbcoated the whole thing and used a fondant and gumpaste mix to make 4 panels for the siding. fondant windows and trim. rice krispy treat porches and steps. royal icing landscaping...

The cake was 15" wide and 20" long and without the roof was 9" high. With fondant and all the decorations it easily weighed 100 pounds. My husband helped with delivery and it went flawlessly. I could not believe that we carried that thing, put it in the van, drove it to the event, carried it pretty far to the banquet hall and nothing happened. Not a tipped flower pot, crack or anything! It served 300 people!! I just normally would not carry a 300 serving cake in one piece... It was great. I stayed for the event, with my pink chefs coat on and answered questions and talked about the cake and gave out a lot of cards. It was fun.

Should be on my photo's by now.

Thanks for reading about my house adventures!

7 replies
BREN28 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:53pm
post #2 of 8

pamconn Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:43pm
post #3 of 8

That looks great! I'll bet they were thrilled with the cake.

LindaB41171 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:56am
post #4 of 8

I just looked through your cake pics. They are amazing! Just completed course 1 last month. I hope I can learn to be as half as good as you.

all4cake Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:13am
post #5 of 8

Very well done!

SugarFrosted Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:46am
post #6 of 8

awww! It's wonderful! I bet they loved it! You did a great job!

Kay_NL Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:11am
post #7 of 8

tonicake Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:48am
post #8 of 8

You did a very good job.

I'm very impressed. I can't imagine how much your cake weighed to have carried it any great distance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%