Cute Idea For Holiday Packaging Of Oreo Cookies!!!

Baking By Cookies4kids Updated 29 Aug 2010 , 10:22pm by thin4life

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 1:52pm
post #211 of 347

I had an old hot pot, which is an electric pot you can boil water in or coffee or whatever. I don't even know if they make them anymore. Anyway, I fill mine about half way with water, it has a temp control so you can boil the water or just keep it hot at a constant temp. I micro my choc in a wide mouth pint canning jar, then put the jar in the hot pot. The hot pot keeps the choc at a constant temp, if you need more, you can just put the choc in the pint jar and up the temp a little. It works just like a double boiler, but you are not tied to the stove. Sometimes if I am doing alot, I melt the choc in a large bowl and then fill the jar. The stuff in the bowl will stay pourable for quite some time. I put the hot pot on a ceramic tile on my work table and sit icon_smile.gif to dip. When I am done, if I have any choc left, I just let it cool and put the lid on the jar. Next time, just add new choc and remelt. You could probably use a quart wide mouth jar, but if you are going to sit, it would be a little tall. This works really well for me and I am using something that would just sit on the shelf.

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 2:34pm
post #212 of 347

I tend to melt the chocolate in glass bowls or even my corelle bowls which retain some of the heat in the microwave. Then I put it on op of a heating pad (on high) and it keeps it warm. Works great for when I have bags with candy melts in it too...this way I can use metal tips on them and not have to worry about them hardening. But put a piece of paper towel down first if you use the bags, this way you don't end up with a big mess.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 3:30pm
post #213 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by saberger

I tend to melt the chocolate in glass bowls or even my corelle bowls which retain some of the heat in the microwave. Then I put it on op of a heating pad (on high) and it keeps it warm. Works great for when I have bags with candy melts in it too...this way I can use metal tips on them and not have to worry about them hardening. But put a piece of paper towel down first if you use the bags, this way you don't end up with a big mess.

I use a heating pad, too! I cover the pad with foil, then place my pyrex dish on top. It really keeps the candy fluid for when I do the loops for candy bows.

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 7 Nov 2008 , 10:43pm
post #214 of 347

I'm so excited...I just got my Spinning Leaf molds today (great service by the way!!!).

In my first batch, as I tap to get the air bubbles out the cookies are rising to the top - have any of you also had that problem and if so, what are you doing about it?

In an attempt to find a good way to melt and keep choc melted....I've used a mini crock pot (I have one for white choc and one for milk choc), a rice cooker(on low), and a crock pot with a towel in the bottom with small containers with the melted choc in to keep it melted - so far I really like the mini crock pot, as soon as the choc is melted I turn it off and it stays melted for quite a while.

Kathy

saberger Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 12:55am
post #215 of 347

I never had the cookie rise to the top. Are you pushing it down far enough? Interesting....sorry I couldn't be of more help.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 1:28am
post #216 of 347

I never had that happen ! Did you add choc then the cookies then more choc ?

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:05am
post #217 of 347
Quote:

oh great! I just ordered some with my Wilton certificates. Oh well. I'll see what happens. By the way - did some more experimenting - check my gallery if interested.

I have to say that I love your "Van Gough'reos"!

KathyTW Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:16am
post #218 of 347

I added choc to about 1/3 full, tapped out bubbles, pushed in the cookie so that the choc bubbled up around it, added more choc., tapped, and the cookie came to the top. I pushed the cookies in a little farther on a different batch and ended up with the cookie too close to the top (when out of the mold) and the cookie showed through (I used white choc on that batch).

Even with all the tapping I still ended up with a couple of bubbles .

Oh well, darn it, I guess I'll just have to practice, practice, practice icon_lol.gif and it's too bad that "someone" will have to eat all the bad ones!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your help.

fiddlesticks Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 2:23am
post #219 of 347

Strange I have never seen that !

GeminiRJ Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 4:41pm
post #220 of 347

I think it's odd, too, about the cookie coming to the top. I don't want to think about how many dozens of these I've done, and that has never happened! I can imagine it would be quite frustrating.

minnowjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minnowjoy Posted 8 Nov 2008 , 8:32pm
post #221 of 347

I just got my spinning leaf order and they had a heart one be my free mold! They are so awesome!!!

saberger Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 3:19am
post #222 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetisome

Quote:

oh great! I just ordered some with my Wilton certificates. Oh well. I'll see what happens. By the way - did some more experimenting - check my gallery if interested.

I have to say that I love your "Van Gough'reos"!

Thank you so much -I also love that name!! Mind if I use it? shhh.gif

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 4:00pm
post #223 of 347

Go right ahead saberger...I'm glad you like it. I love word play and when I saw your work and the artist...i just couldn't resist! I'm flattered you want to label your beautiful work with my humble words icon_wink.gif

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:25pm
post #224 of 347

Ok, need to start looking for the different colored oreos. I know they have green filled out already. Do they also come in red filled? Also, is it best to use the double stuffed ones or the regular? Oh just one more question, do the winter oreos come in double stuff or just the regular? Ok, think that's it for now icon_lol.gif Thanks so much guys....

fiddlesticks Posted 9 Nov 2008 , 7:37pm
post #225 of 347

Yes you can get red oreos! you can also get candy cane flavored oreos Out in some areas now ! Yes the green mint are also out by me to! I saw banana still around to along with the reg pb, choc creme etc.

saberger Posted 10 Nov 2008 , 1:30am
post #226 of 347

I have given out the oreos that I made and got some feedback on them. Yes they loved the design, BUT some people thought that they were very sweet...."would it be possible to put brownie or cheese in the middle?" What the $@&! I do think that the molds make the oreos very chocolate-y, so what I did was this: I used the golden oreos (experimented using the store brand vanilla sandwich cookies), and then used flavored chocolate. I did raspberry, pina colada, and peppermint and mixed them with milk chocolate and then with white chocolate. I have to say that I liked it better. Has anyone else done that? Add flavors to the chocolate rather than to the cookie?

KathyTW Posted 11 Nov 2008 , 11:22pm
post #227 of 347

I finished my first batch! The packaging is really the tricky part....this is what I came up with

Double stuff oreos in chocolate with a little fondant rose topper. Set into a cupcake liner, wrapped in sandwich bag and tied with curling ribbon.

Sorry...the picture is a little blurry.

These are really fun....the plain mold is really deep so it takes a lot of chocolate, but it looks much better in the cupcake liner than the other "thinner" molds. These Spinning Leaf molds are just awesome!

TFL

Kathy
LL

saberger Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:14am
post #228 of 347

Great job Kathy! It looks very pretty and the packaging works really well

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 3:18am
post #229 of 347

Great job! It looks so pretty!

GeminiRJ Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:39pm
post #230 of 347

I just got a notice from SpinningLeaf that they have 3 new holiday molds! Has anyone else seen these? One is a cornucopia, the other is a gingerbread house, and my favorite is a Christmas tree. They've given me a 10% off coupon that is good until 11-28, so now I have to decide if my collection of chocolate molds is going to be growing! Hmmm. Maybe an early Christmas gift to me?

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 12:54pm
post #231 of 347

icon_smile.gif Love the packaging and the fondant rose too......it looks very well done. thumbs_up.gif

Susie53 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Susie53 Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:06pm
post #232 of 347

Kathy, your cookie and packaging looks great....very nice presentation.

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:18pm
post #233 of 347

hi gemini and yes i did see them. super cute!! icon_biggrin.gif you deserve an early xmas gift your a woman, hehe!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:24pm
post #234 of 347

i wanna go make choc cov oreos now ! ! ! !

fiddlesticks Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:24pm
post #235 of 347

Yes I got the same notice from SpinningLeaf.They are cute !!

butternut Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:28pm
post #236 of 347

I didn't get a notice icon_sad.gif I want a notice icon_lol.gif They are cute. I want em!!

angelatx Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:31pm
post #237 of 347

hi butternut, i think all you have to do is sign up for their newsletter to get info like that. hi!! fiddlesticks!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

butternut Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:42pm
post #238 of 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelatx

hi butternut, i think all you have to do is sign up for their newsletter to get info like that. hi!! fiddlesticks!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

hmmm, ya know I think I did sign up for the newsletter when I placed my last order. I'll have to check that out. Thanks so much angelatx
.... I love those molds. Gotta have em, discount or not icon_lol.gif

angelatx Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:45pm
post #239 of 347

your welcome butternut!! va, wow your far from texas. icon_smile.gif have a great day everyone!!! icon_biggrin.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 12 Nov 2008 , 1:52pm
post #240 of 347

Thanks for posting that site! I LOVE all the oreo molds.
My local cake lady had the ribbon one, so I bought that and I'm making a ton of them (with yellow ribbon!) and sending them to my son in Iraq. Thankfully he will be home for Christmas, so I'm sending all these oreos along with Christmas decorations for all the guys that will be replacing the ones coming home (originally bought for my son, but glad he won't need them). Thanks for giving me a heads up to the molds!
Now to order more molds from Spinning site since my lady didn't carry the others. There are so many cute ones I don't know which to NOT get!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%