Help With Cakes Required For 250 People (Party Servings)

Decorating By aileenlnbh Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 3:20am by steffla

aileenlnbh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aileenlnbh Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:22am
post #1 of 9

Help!!! I had volunteered some time ago to make cakes,cuppies and cookies for my sons Boys Brigade 125th Anniversary party and they have now extended the party sizing due to getting into our new village hall. SO, what was for 50 people is now for 250!!!! (yikes!!) - i need to be able to cater in party cake servings sizes for 250 people so i plan on doing three cakes, biggest WASC, second my special occasion choc cake with ganache filling and third smallest cake a fruit. Can anyone tell me what sizes i should make to cater? Also i was going to additionally make 50 cuppies and 50 cookies (for the number of kids going). Advice a plenty is required, preparing, baking, freezing, decorating (runouts of 125 numbers) etc. HELP - i know i will do good with all your help, prayers and support!!! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:43am
post #2 of 9

I don't know off hand but if you go to www.wilton.com or www.earlenescakes.com they both have serving charts for any shaped cake. I kinda like Earlenes sizeing better, Good luck to you. You'll do fine. Just support it well. icon_biggrin.gif

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:28pm
post #3 of 9

If you want party sizes, not wedding, then I would go with Earlene's chart. They are more generously sized portions (you'll want these especially with a bunch of growing boys around!). Good luck and have fun with it!

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:31pm
post #4 of 9

I also forgot to mention that the Wilton site also has an estimated amount of icing required to cover/decorate different sized cakes. This will give you a good number to go by on how much icing you need to make. You can make the icing way in advance and freeze it or a week in advance and place in the fridge. This will take some of the frazzle out of the week of baking/preparing/decorating for you.

aileenlnbh Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:37pm
post #5 of 9

thanks. ive just seen the servicing sizes on earlenes site and its exactly what im looking for. knew id get the help i needed.

Samantha - thanks for the freezing icing tip, havent ever done that!!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 9

Aileen, just noticed you're in Scotland....I have a niece who lives in Sterling, is that nearby?

It looks like you found the information you needed, but I just wanted to wish you luck.

Deb

aileenlnbh Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 9

deb - stirling is about 50 minutes away from me. thanks for the luck, i will need it icon_razz.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm
post #8 of 9

Yes go ahead & make the icing now & store. You will need to rewhip it just before using. If you have the room you can bake now also. Just give yourself lots of time (overnight is great) for it to defrost before icing it.
As for sizes what is the lgst pan you have? Do you want sheets or other shape?
Have you thought of making a tiered cake? For that I suggest a 16x4; 12x4; 9x4 and 6x3 rounds. That would give you about 175-190.
The same size sqs will give you about 15- 20% more....
For a sheet use a 12x18x4 for about 80-90.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:20am
post #9 of 9

Kakeladi, I am not sure how to figure out servings for a 4 inch high cake but how would you accomodate 120 servings on a tiered cake like that? Also, when serving how do you cut the slices? Do people get a 1x4x? in slice? Sorry to hijack the thread but I appreciate your help!

thanks
steph

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%