Gumpaste Flowers Melting

Decorating By zamku Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm by zamku

zamku Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:40am
post #1 of 5

Hello, I am new to cake decorating. I recently made gumpaste flowers (dolor's recipe), I do not use gelatin since I am a vegetrian. I put them on cupcakes with stabilized whipped cream frosing and choc ganache. But after about two hours, they started melting and the colors bled.
What did I do wrong? I thouht the flowers should stay indefinitely.

The pic is attatched.

Thanks for the feedback
LL

4 replies
peg818 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:23am
post #2 of 5

The moisture from the frosting is probably what melted then. Gumpaste is sensitive to moisture and heat after all it is sugar and sugar does act like a sponge and will melt in the heat.

I just had to toss some flowers that sat next to an open window in a rain storm. Just a fact of life. Some recipes will wilt quicker then others its just a matter of experimenting to find out what works for you and your climate.

As far as the gelatin try a vegetarian one, i do know that they make it.

zamku Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, peg818.
So all those lovely flowers and gumpaste creations that the pros make, do they melt too in a few hours? So, maybe should I try some other frosting with less moisture, like buttercream? I am new , pls help me out.

ibmoser Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 5

All depends on the humidity in your area. I cannot put gumpaste items out here for more than a couple of days (if they are not touching anything with moisture) - they will re-hydrate and flop just sitting out due to the ambient humidity. I usually need to dry gumpaste in the food dehydrator. Once thoroughly dry, I can store pieces in airtight containers with a small amount of drying agent in a corner of the container (not touching the gumpaste, of course). I have pieces over two years old that are still just like new, but they never would have survived in the open. Small pieces of gumpaste will wilt within a couple of hours if they are in contact with cake or icing - sugar is hygroscopic. Some areas of the country don't have such humidity issues and 3-D items can actually be made from fondant (gasp!). I have fewer wilting issues putting gumpaste on a fondant-covered cake than on any of the buttercreams.

zamku Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:26pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks, ibmoser. That really will help me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%