Wanted: A Non-Ginger Cookie Recipe For A Gingerbread House

Baking By Emerald1961 Updated 19 Dec 2016 , 6:14am by Dar917

Emerald1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emerald1961 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:14am
post #1 of 10

I want to make a gingerbread house but do not want to use the traditional gingerbead cookie recipe. I heard there was a good recipe from Colette Peters in one of her books but I do not have the book. Is there anyone out there that A) Has the book and is willing to share the recipe? or B) Has a good tasting, reliable recipe to share?

Thanks!
Peggy

9 replies
nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:43am
post #2 of 10

I actually made a "gingerbread house" out of sugar cookies. I just tinted the dough brown to get the same effect. It was funny because everyone said they hated gingerbread cookies, but mine were GREAT!

lovely Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovely Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:46am
post #3 of 10

Hello,

Someone may clear this up better than me and as a newbie to gingerbread houses, would NFSC work? Rolled chocolate cookies be fine? Either of these be sturdy enough to do the same as ginger dough. I've made ginger bread cookies and the dough seem to be the same as NFSC and chocolate rolled cookies.
Just curious.

icon_rolleyes.gif
Leigh

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 10

I've used both chocolate and sugar cookie dough for houses in the past and they've worked the same as gingerbread.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:05pm
post #5 of 10

Do people actually eat gingerbread houses? Don't they get stale after weeks on display?

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Do people actually eat gingerbread houses? Don't they get stale after weeks on display?

It depends, how long they've been out and the recipe both have alot to do with it. I have a gingerbread recipe that my husband loves long after it gets hard. I don't do fancy houses and my kids start eating what they've made within a day or two of finishing it.

Emerald1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Emerald1961 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 10

Well, some people eat gingerbread houses. I want to a replica of the community house that is in the village where I live. I wanted to use something other than gingerbread because I always associate it with Christmas. This isn't for Christmas. I don't know if sugar cookie dough will be strong enough. Someone suggested I make gingerbread dough and just leave out the ginger. I might try that idea if someone can't get that Colette Peters recipe I have been told about.

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #8 of 10

This is made out of sugar cookies. It's where I got the idea to do my gingerbread house from.
http://www.haunteddimensions.raykeim.com/index506.html

Ev820 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ev820 Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 4:19am
post #9 of 10

I've used a dough recipe, no ginger in this recipe. It's a sweet taste with a hint of lemon. 

3 cups of self rising flour 

2 teaspoons ground allspice 

pinch of salt

1/4 cup of clear honey 

3 tablespoons of butter

1 egg beaten 

finely grated lemon peel 

1 tablespoon of lemon juice 

preheat oven to 350F

grease a large baking sheet with butter.

Sift  four, allspice, and salt in large bowl; make a well in the center. Put honey brown sugar, and butter in a small saucepan, stir over low heat until melted. Slightly cool the mixture, pour into well, add beaten egg, lemon peel and lemon juice. Mix to make a soft dough, knead on to floured surface until smooth. Roll out to 11x9 rectangle. Bake 20-25 minutes until lightly browned, move to wire rack, it must cool before cutting. 

Make this recipe twice to get enough dough to make your house. I would suggest making it twice rather then doubling recipe, it turns out better when it's not doubled. 

Dar917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dar917 Posted 19 Dec 2016 , 6:14am
post #10 of 10

I would think you could use any cookie recipe that you can roll and cut out.

Doesn't gingerbread get most of its flavor from molasses anyway?

@nickshalfpint ‍ that's way cool! I would love to do one out of chocolate cookie.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%