Questions About Fondant

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm by Sugarflowers

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:27am
post #1 of 3

So the newbie has more questions!

When I make fondant, how long can that last? I'm not taking orders or anything, but I want to start practicing at home with different cakes/decorations/etc. If I'm going to store it, how is it best stored? Room temp/chilled/etc? I understand it has to be airtight though.

I'm going to try the MMF recipe, if I have any left over can I reknead it for other cakes? Or does it not behave like other fondant?

And one more fondant question. I've heard the Wilton fondant is nasty. Is it possible to add flavors to it? Or would that be like spraying air freshener in a smoker's house?

2 replies
ceshell Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:39am
post #2 of 3

Fondant can last months, even longer (a year?) stored properly. Coat in shortening (I think that step is optional) and then wrap tightly in plastic cling wrap...and then wrap it again. Then into a ziploc bag with all of the air pressed out (unless you have a food saver!)

This applies to leftover MMF for sure. I have some in my cupboard just waiting for the next cake. I do always taste a piece before using, just to make sure that nothing went bad (e.g. old shortening going rancid IN my fondant -ack!)

Wilton=bad bad bad! Haha, I love your analogy, and I think it's accurate. That stuff is so awful, not much can be done to improve it. However it's great for modeling things that you know won't be eaten, or just for use as practice.

Sugarflowers Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #3 of 3

Fondant keeps well at room temperature for at least a month if properly wrapped and well over a year if frozen, still properly wrapped. Don't refrigerate it. The humidity will make a gooey mess out of it.

I have attached the link to the recipe that I use. Please remember that the amount of powdered sugar will vary with the heat, humidity, temperature and amount of liquid for each batch. It's not an exact science, but you will know when it is right by how it looks. If it droops down the hook, it needs a little more powdered sugar. If it holds it's shape, then it's good to go. It will only need a small amount of kneading to make it smooth before letting it rest. The recipe says to let it stand for 24 hours, but 6-8 is usually enough. I like to make it the night before I need it, then it is very nice the next day.

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%