Mmf Mouse

Decorating By cakebaker1978 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 3:27pm by tatetart

cakebaker1978 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #1 of 4

I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea on how to make a MMF mouse. I am trying to re-create couturiere's "halloween suprise" cake. I need help doing the halloween mice. Does anyone have a step by step instruction for that? Any help would be very appreciated! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

3 replies
tatetart Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:55am
post #2 of 4

Hi Cakebaker! I just read your comment on the Halloween Surprise.
thank you!

this was a cake I made for the SugarWonders Cake Show in 2007.

I didn't use MMF for the mice. I used gumpaste. the gumpaste will
work better because it is a firmer medium.

I start with the head first, rolled into a ball with a point at the end, much like a hershey's kiss, then form the ears using a small ball tool to pull up from the top of the head, smooth and mount head on a toothpick to dry. Good thing it was for halloween because I had little mouse heads impaled on toothpicks looking scarily similar to Dracula's castle!

Anyway...back to the point...then I formed the body using 4X the amount of gumpaste used for the head. I make the body into a rectangle, snip the sides toward the top of the rectangle to make arms and snip the bottom in the middle to form the legs. ( I have attached a picture to illustrate where I make the cuts.) Then I shape the arms and legs to the pose I want them to have.
I roll out a long tail and attach and set aside to dry for a little while.

When dry enough to handle but still soft inside, I stick the head into the body and handpaint using amerigel and petal dusts.

Not everyone makes mice the same way, but this is the process I use.

cakebaker1978 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:22am
post #3 of 4

Hi Couturiere,

Thanks so much for your reply. I found it extremely helpful. However, I couldn't seem to open the file you left me with the pics. I am not sure why. But thanks for the instructions. I can't wait to get started!!!

tatetart Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:27pm
post #4 of 4

You're welcome! My monitor shows the cutting pattern for the body.
I did have to reduce the size and repost it, so maybe it loaded again after you viewed the message.
Let me know if you can see the pattern. Thanx!

Quote by @%username% on %date%