Anyone Have Any Experience With Hazelnut Extract?

Decorating By momtofourmonkeys Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm by tyty

momtofourmonkeys Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 8

I absolutely love the Ferrero Rocher chocolate candies so I figured I would try out the cupcakes. I wasn't able to find the extract locally so I ordered online. The smell of the extract was quite strong and the cupcakes tasted exactly like the smell (as if they were burnt if there is such a thing.) Because of the strong flavor I omited the hazelnut in the filling and ganache topping but it still wasn't enough to cover the cupcake taste. I added 1 1/2 tablespoons to the recipe which is what was called for. Can the extract go bad? Maybe I got a bad batch or is the extract so strong that I should have used a much smaller amount than called for? icon_sad.gif The cupcakes didn't taste anything like the candies - which I can eat lots of in one sitting!

Any ideas?

7 replies
DianeLM Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #2 of 8

I love hazelnut and use a lot of it. It's what makes my cake balls hopelessly addictive and my chocolate fudge filling irresistible!

I use hazelnut FLAVORING, not extract, from www.spicebarn.com.

1-1/2 tablespoons sounds like WAYYYY too much! Your recipe must have a typo. Should probably be 1-1/2 TEASPOONS.

The only time I use a larger quantity is when I use hazelnut flavored coffee syrup. It's much weaker than the concentrated flavoring, or extract.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:52am
post #3 of 8

Thank you Diane. The tsp instead of the Tbsp makes since. I will have to try the recipe again this week and see if that makes a difference. Because I had to order the extract and had to pay shipping I ordered a much larger bottle so as to only have to order it once - especially since I love the candies and all. icon_wink.gif I hate to not use it.

Thanks again! Have a wonderful week!

sarahpierce Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 8

I made this recipe too! But, I couldn't find the extract anywhere and I didn't have time to order it. Because I thought "Well, every store has to have hazelnut extract." WRONG! So, I had to use hazelnut powdered coffee creamer. I just dumped it in till it tasted right. It gave it a mild flavor. I thought that it called for way too much extract as well. I also used about a quarter of the hazelnuts. They were very good the way I made them, and tasted like the candies. I also used the Nuetella for the filling, YUMMY! When I make them again I think I will do mini cupcakes because they are so rich. I also may try the coffee syrup next time. Please try the recipe again and revamp it, it is a really good concept. icon_smile.gif

missmeg Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 8

Could you post a recipe for the cupcakes? They sound divine icon_smile.gif.

momtofourmonkeys Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 8

The recipe I used, I found on this thread. I will be adjusting the amount of extract the next time I make them. The remainder of the cupcakes - filling and ganache on top tasted fantastic!

http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=599054&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

nickshalfpint Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #7 of 8

This is the recipe I use. It looks similar, but it only calls for 1 tbsp of extract. I've made it and it's pretty good. My DH loved them.

http://www.cupcakeproject.com/2007/12/ferrero-rocher-cupcakes-23-karat.html0

tyty Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:46pm
post #8 of 8

I use Lorann hazelnut flavoring, the choc/hazelnut is also good in chocolate fondant. Makes it taste and smell great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%