Can This Cake Be Done Using All Buttercream??

Decorating By TheDomesticDiva Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 12:39am by TheDomesticDiva

TheDomesticDiva Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #1 of 12

I had a woman call today and ask me if I could make a cake for her grand daughter's first birthday at the end of the month. She just emailed me this picture of a cake (Im not sure where she found it online) and she wants to know if I can do it in all buttercream. She doesnt want any fondant, and she doesnt want hearts on it, she wants white circles instead. ...Can this be done with buttercream, and will it look silly? Should I just tell her it needs to be fondant, or to pick another cake?? She picked a cake with detailed fondant and doesnt want fondant. Any suggestions??
LL

11 replies
alanahodgson Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:57pm
post #2 of 12

I can't see your image.

TooMuchCake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 12

You could do that in buttercream, but the effect would not be the same at all. The bow wouldn't be as big, for example. You could pipe on the stripes and pipe dots of buttercream for the dots she requested in place of the hearts. Make sure she KNOWS it will look different so that she doesn't come back and complain later, or have her pick something else.

Better yet, ask her what specifically she likes about this cake, and build her a new design of your own based on that.

Let us know how it goes...
Deanna

TheDomesticDiva Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks Deanna!! I really like your idea about asking what she likes about it and going from there!! She's really open to me doing whatever I think will look good with it, which is definately a blessing!! icon_smile.gif

I dont know why my images show up sometimes and sometimes not. Any ideas on that??

kelleym Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 12

Eh. I don't think so. In this case, the fondant *is* what creates the "look" of the cake. There are many pretty cakes that can be made with buttercream, but this is not one of them. If she would let you use fondant for the bow or accents, it would have more a chance of succesfully imitating the cake in the picture.

Customers saying "I want this cake, but I don't want you to use _____" crack me up. Can you imagine telling a builder, "Build me a house, but I don't want you to use nails." icon_confused.gif

GenGen Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:27am
post #6 of 12

if she has the right tip she can do a bow like that. its not as big as the "icing tip" is but slightly smaller. would work to do a bow like that at least as close as one can with buttercream. i recommend adding some cornstarch or something to give it some stability. or perhaps even royal icing

indydebi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:51am
post #7 of 12

I agree you "could" do it in BC, but I also agree that it would look like a totally different cake if you did. Be sure she knows this.

kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #8 of 12

Well there IS rolled b'cream that could be used for the bow. It is harder to work with than fondant.
Also the top pic/frame can't be done in b'cream. I don't think even rolled b'cream would work. The only thing I can think of would be colorflow.

BCJean Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:39am
post #9 of 12

We recently had some discussions about what you can do with buttercream on another thread, "only buttercream decorators".

This is one of the posts from that thread and a photo of a cake she did.

GeminiRJ wrote:  
You don't even have to use fondant accents if you don't want to...go buttercream all the way! Spread a thin layer of buttercream (maybe 1/8" thick) on a sheet of waxed paper, lay it on a cookie sheet, and pop it in the freezer. Once it's frozen, use cookie cutters or fondant cutters to cut out the shapes. Re-freeze. Apply the frozen shapes to your cake.
LL

TheDomesticDiva Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks ladies... and I'm checking out that "buttercream only" thread right now!! icon_smile.gif I appreciate it! I'm kinda scared bc I've only ever worked with fondant for the most part, so I'm hoping I can get the buttercream to be smooth enough! And I'll definately let her know it'll look like a different cake, and give her the option to change her mind, or to customize it however she wants to.

margaretb Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:09pm
post #11 of 12

I couldn't get the picture to come up either.

However, I would also ask WHY she doesn't want fondant. If it is because she doesn't like the taste, you could suggest that you use it for some or all of the accents and then it could be peeled off before eating. Also, maybe they will like your fondant.

TheDomesticDiva Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:39am
post #12 of 12

I dont think she wants to PAY for fondant lol. And her daughter had never heard of fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%