What Other Craft Supplies Do You Use For Decorating/baking?

Decorating By cutthecake Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 12:57am by playingwithsugar

cutthecake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:27pm
post #1 of 12

I raided my craft closet the other day. I have supplies for a variety of hobbies, and I was looking for things I could use in cake making.

While digging through the closet, I came across instruction books for modeling figures out of polymer clay.....seems great for fondant figures. Has anyone tried using polymer clay push molds for fondant? Does that work?

Then I saw my books of patterns for applique quilting...looks like they would work great for flat fondant shapes. Just photocopy the patterns, enlarging them, and use to cut fondant shapes.

Many of you use ribbons to decorate cake edges and foam core cake boards...how about the leftover lace and trims from sewing?

Scrapbooking scissors, sterilized, would create a nice edge on fondant pieces--scallopped, zigzagged, whatever.

Can you think of any other uses for your craft supplies?

11 replies
chovest Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:50pm
post #2 of 12

I like the plastic canvas. I have used it twice. The first for the back of a playing card. (held in place and airbrushed red.) The second for the checkered pattern for the bedspread on my fair cake. (again, held in place and airbrushed yellow.)

playing cards: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1228938

bedspread: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1264632

cutthecake Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:44am
post #3 of 12

Cute cakes.........Clever use of craft supplies! I never wold have thought of that.
Anyone else?

sweetsbystacy Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #4 of 12

I've been playing around with my Cricut machine, cutting out shapes and letters to use as templates. Since I have now switched from scrapbooking to cake-making, my husband is happy that the Cricut is at least getting used!

aholtz Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:44pm
post #5 of 12

People have used supplies from clay sculpting all the way down to dental supplies to create cakes. Only thing I can say is trial and error when it comes to certain things. Cake decorating has advanced so far now, that the sky is truely the limit now. The traditional "white" cakes are seen less now, compared to all of the color and decorating that is being used now. Who knows you might set the new trend using some of these items.

Jmtreu98 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 6:08pm
post #6 of 12

Because I have two young kids, I have a very large supply of different playdoh cutters at my disposal! Some really cute shapes for using with fondant.

Sometimes at the Dollar Stores they have these cutout sets on sale. There have been a couple I got for .50 or less!

ceshell Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 12

I actually just bought the clay pushmold to do some sea creatures. Now that I have the mold, I totally recognize the creatures on several other ocean-themed cakes in the gallery icon_biggrin.gif. Note that Sculpey specifically states that they are not approved for use with food products, so you must make your own judgment about the risk of chemicals leaching into your pieces during use. There is a huge thread about that here somewhere on CC from at least a year (or more) ago, with much debate as to the risk factor, ranging from "NO WAY not worth the risk, you don't know what's in those molds" to "Can't possibly be risky so I'm gonna use em".

Anyway more importantly: there was a great thread here on CC called "Unusual Items turned into cake decorating "tools"." It only goes up to page 17 and then p 18-19 were lost in the March '08 database crash...so PLEASE don't make any new posts on that thread as it is very hard to find new posts on threads that have corrupted pages. But the first 17 pages are intact so they are definitely worth looking at! http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8964&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=unusual&&start=0

newmansmom2004 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 12:12am
post #8 of 12

I found some sheets of textured plastic (11" x 17", I believe) in the dollhouse section of HL. I believe it's used for interior ceiling in doll houses but it will make a GREAT texture mat to use for fondant when I want a textured ribbon. I bought two different sheets - one was $5 and the other $7 - FAR less than a textured rolling pin.

I also - just today - bought a couple Sculpey tools. They're both by Studio by Sculpey. One is a multi-tool that I'll use to clean up rough edges, corners, cutting etc. when making fondant/gumpaste molds. The other is a set of cutters for flowers. The clay section has some interesting ideas for cake decorating.

JR

xstitcher Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:19am
post #9 of 12

Ceshell thanks for the link. I'm already engrossed in it and I'm only on page 4! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

cutthecake Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:51am
post #10 of 12

Thanks for the ideas and responses.

Teenequeene Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:21am
post #11 of 12

I use those foam stamps for some of my cakes. I either brush them with piping gel, thin BC, or just press them into the cake a little when the icing has stiffened. Then I pipe over the design with BC or RI

playingwithsugar Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:57am
post #12 of 12

I bought some foam stamps, and when time allows, I will be using them as templates to make cookie templates. I haven't decided what medium I will be using to make the new templates, but it will definitely be a plastic that can easily be removed from the dough.

Dollar Tree often has 2-packs of plastic cutting boards, which is what I want to try, but the ones nearest me do not have them at present. If you spot them at your local stores, please let me know, so I can call mine and ask them to get them for me.

I love the idea of the plastic canvas for a gingham effect. I'm definitely going to be trying that one, soon.

Thanks, all, for your great ideas!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%