Lime And Orange Cakes

Decorating By danasflowers Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm by MaisieBake

danasflowers Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, bride after bride have be coming to be about having a tropical cake. Each cake has 3 layers. One orange, one lime and one lemon. I get the lemon cake. No problem. Anyone have any good recipes for the lime and the orange??

What to bakers use to get these flavors and the bright colors?

Thanks,

Dana

6 replies
Kitagrl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 7

When I worked at an upscale catering place, the pastry chef always just made his regular recipe of whatever genoise or pound...and then used the citrus zest, the citrus juice, and then additional extracts/flavors/juices, dumping them all into the batter until it tasted strong enough. It always worked, and usually added just enough moisture to the cake to make it really good. It surprised me at first, but it does work. Then just add whatever paste/gel color you need into the batter as well. Sounds great!

DsLady614 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #3 of 7

I actually just made an orange flavored cake just using extract. I was just using box mixes, not even doctored. I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of orange extract to a yellow mix. It was subtle, but went really well with my chocolate ganache filling. Tasted like one of those chocolate oranges you get during the holidays.

Now, if you wanted to make the cake orange colored... that should be easy too... maybe just a little gel color? I haven't tried coloring a cake yet, but I know several people here have.

levinea Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #4 of 7

I just made my DH an orange cake for his birthday (football helmet in my photos) and it was delicious. I used a doctored box mix with sour cream extender and then replaced half the water with orange juice, then added orange zest and 1 tsp of orange extract. Very refreshing and it baked up nicely, was moist but sturdy.

I did a margarita cake back in April the same way - replaced 1/4 cup of the water with key lime juice, then added a drop or two of Lime Lorann oil to the batter.

kello Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:46pm
post #5 of 7

I just made an orange cake Sat. Duncan Hinze makes an orange cake. I was really unsure about it at first, but it actually tasted like a creamsicle. I added a box of vanilla pudding and some sour cream. I used a vanilla buttercream with it.

Petit-four Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 7

I also make lime, orange, and lemon cakes -- the look pretty together. I''d suggest following your lemon cake recipe, but just substitute the appropriate extracts and jucies, as everyone has suggested.

Also -- on the orange cakes, I've found they get really sweet (because oj has a lot of sugar, plus the sugar in ther recipe) so I add 1 or 2 T lemon juice to the OJ, which helps bring out the orange, but not make it too sweet (unless, of course, you'd like this).

The only one I've added one drop of color to is the lime -- add the color when you are beating the sugar and eggs, because it does not seem get blended enough when added with the flour. Or, at least, that is what I found.

Hope this helps. thumbs_up.gif

MaisieBake Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petit-four

I also make lime, orange, and lemon cakes -- the look pretty together. I''d suggest following your lemon cake recipe, but just substitute the appropriate extracts and jucies, as everyone has suggested.

I'd do the lemon cake first-- and taste the batter before you bake.

Compare the others (sweetness, amount of designated flavor) to the lemon and adjust as needed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%