Where Do You Get Your Food Coloring From.

Decorating By luvhavinbgtwins Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 12:29am by kakeladi

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 11

I normally get it was walmart and use the wilton but the taste is horrible..esp if I use a dark color well I will be useing black....Is there a non taste one ....Where are there other places to buy items.

Thanks

10 replies
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:27am
post #2 of 11

Try AmeriColor. Greaticon_smile.gif Many on-line places carry it. It's not so much where you buy them....I have gotten many colors at walmart & Michael's.

When making dk colors, start w/a med color ie: black use all colors mixed together. Whenever you have a tablespoon or less of any color put it in a jar and fz it until you get 1/2 cup of so &/or when ever you need some black. Stir it up well. It will be an ugly camo color icon_smile.gif Mix in some Unsweetened cocoa powder, then add some black paste color. Store any leftovers in fzr.
If you need dk blue - do similar - but some colors will not work well like green or yellow....but at least you can start w/a med blue, pink, or such before adding your navy paste.

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 11

I am a little confused... So if I need blk to start.. I think I will be using blk, red and yellow maybe blue.

Can you use coco and blk to make it sorry, maybe its just to early, my twins got me up way to early this morning LOL!

jammjenks Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

When making dk colors, start w/a med color ie: black use all colors mixed together. Whenever you have a tablespoon or less of any color put it in a jar and fz it until you get 1/2 cup of so &/or when ever you need some black. Stir it up well. It will be an ugly camo color icon_smile.gif Mix in some Unsweetened cocoa powder, then add some black paste color. Store any leftovers in fzr.

What a great idea!

kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 11

Yes, add cocoa to a mixture of all colors of icing you have on hand (depending on how much dk co9lor you need. It will help 'mask' the bitter taste dark paste colors add. And will help make it darker.

It is always best to make these colors *at least* the night before you need them. Color develops over a long period of time (except for pastel shades).
So for red make some pink, yellow or orange 'base' then add red paste/gel color.

For yellow & (pastel to med) blue just use paste/gel colors - no need to mix up &/or add cocoa. But if the blue is going to be navy, then proceed lke you would to make black, just use navy paste/gel.

luvhavinbgtwins Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:05am
post #6 of 11

This might be stupid but can you do the same on fondont....I have a hard time making it black...I always get Grey..

Thanks...

Do you also only use gel colors???

kakeladi Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:13pm
post #7 of 11

I haven't tried it but don't see why it would not work w/fondant.
Gel colors have sort of taken over from pastes icon_smile.gif They mix much better. W/pastes there was always the possibilities of some paste being hard & not mixing, causing spotting.

jammjenks Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:40am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi

What a great idea!

I tried this today for the first time. One question...where have you been all my life? I had leftover blue, navy, grass green, pink, and yellow. I mixed them all together and got kind of a teal color, because most of my leftovers were medium blue. All I added was a moderate amount of Americolor black and voila....jet black for my monster truck cake. Thanks for this valuable tip!

linedancer Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:09am
post #9 of 11

In answer to the fondant question, yes, you can always make black. Just take the bits and pieces (don't we all end up with them??) and knead together, then add a little black. Works like a charm. I use MMF, if that makes a difference and the coloring is Americolor super black. I do not add any cocoa to it. I also use black when I want to darken a color. For instance, the leaf green from both Wilton and CK, to me makes a more spring like green. When I want a fall green or Christmas green, I just add a drop or two of super black, that gives me the color I want without adding alot more green.

Edee Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:53am
post #10 of 11

Great suggestions, My question is... I use all veg. shortning icing. It has all veg shortning, powdered sugar and water. Will it freeze okay and for how long?

kakeladi Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:29am
post #11 of 11

.....use all veg. shortning icing. It has all veg shortning, powdered sugar and water. Will it freeze okay and for how long?.....

Sure It will fz just fineicon_smile.gif I've done it for yrs & yrsicon_smile.gif
I have kept icing in the fzr up to a yr in a glass jar. Don't kn ow about using any other type container (as I don't recall using anything but glass).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%