What Program To Use To Build Website?

Business By Bipolarexpress Updated 23 Jan 2009 , 11:35pm by cakesdivine

Bipolarexpress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bipolarexpress Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all,
I see alot of you have nice websites and I would like to suprise wife with a site for her cakes.She dreams of having her own so I thought I would get it up and running so she could add her photos as she makes new cakes.And eventually start her own business.
Any info on cost/have it hosted would be great too.
Thanks
Ron

10 replies
avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:20am
post #2 of 11

I have two websites that I run (not for cakes--one's for tshirts and one's for our costume business). Our costume one is run by a place in town and is freakishly expensive (supporting the local economy, etc) but my own is on freewebs, and I've seen others on here who use it too.

If you're not really code-saavy, I'd suggest yahoo or freewebs, they have great modules for pages and it's really easy to do. Cost goes from free up to about $8 per month, which would include the domain name. If you are more code-saavy, I've heard good things about bluehost, 1&1.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 2:35am
post #3 of 11

AWWWWW... You are just the sweetest DH around!!! Mine is hosted by NetFirms. I can't remember what it cost, but it is SUPER easy to use! And it couldn't have been THAT much or I wouldn't have done it!!!

aprilcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilcake Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:36am
post #4 of 11

that is so sweet of you! Too bad I am moving to a different site because you cant see how cute mine is! but...mine is through www.godaddy.com you can buy the domain and get hosting and everything through them and the site builder! Its pretty easy and fun once you get the hang of it! It costs between $1.99-$9.99 to buy your domain name www.yourwife'scakesname.com and then you can get free hosting that has ads up to on the site or pay around $4.99 a month for no-ad hosting that looks professional and up to 5 pages or $8.99 for up to 10 pages! Hope this helps!

April :0)

kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:56am
post #5 of 11

i like freewebs, it is easy to "build" your own website, they have tons of templates to choose from the make it your own and best off they are free! it is a great starting out site and it couldn't be any simpler for her to add her photos. if/when biz picks up and you want your own domain, you can continue with freewebs and they will host if for you. I really love freewebs, it is perfect for me.

wjjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wjjo Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:29pm
post #6 of 11

Hi-
Do a web search on bakery website templates and/or cake website templates. You will find that there are dozens (hundreds?) of templates you can purchase that start from free and go from there. MUCH easier than starting from scratch and a slightly more professional look than some of the free web building sites.

You do need to have a program to edit the templates to make them your own. I picked up an old copy of DreamWeaver (MS Frontpage is also popular) from a pal and made sure to buy a template that works with Dreamweaver.

If you are looking for e-commerce functionality I have a couple friends who use this software:
http://www.volusion.com/

Though, I think you can only use them for delivery based businesses, not sure about in-store pickup. It'd be worth asking if this is a route you are considering.

It is relatively in-expensive hosting and based upon the number of items you want to sell. I believe they also have some templates available to get you started.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:38am
post #7 of 11

I used yahoo webbuilder for mine. Really, really easy. I was so intimidated by the idea of building a website, but it's sooooooo easy. The cost for mine is about $11.95/month.

Good luck.....

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 11:55am
post #8 of 11

I have a freewebs site now and I did it all myself icon_rolleyes.gif ! Anyway, it is great if you are looking for a free site and a place to display your work. I am moving into the direction of having a legal business in the next couple of months, so I plan to upgrade my site soon. But for now, it has been great and pretty easy to use. YOu can check out my site by clicking the www button below.

Bipolarexpress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bipolarexpress Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:28am
post #9 of 11

Hello all,
Thanks for all the info.Ive been working on a site for her for the last few days.I figure by the time shes ready to start an online site she will be more comfortable with her site by adding to it as she goes.
Thanks again
Ron

momtobtb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtobtb Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:30am
post #10 of 11

I have a flash template through winklet web designs at www.winklet.com. It's totally customizable to anything you want and Paula is the best to work with. It's so easy to add to it as you go. I added more pages to my template, changed the font, and added a calendar section. The templates are very, very affordable and I get so many compliments from it from my prospective customers.

Good luck!

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Jan 2009 , 11:35pm
post #11 of 11

Directed to Reeflightinteractive

Okay, hmm...3 things...

1) I use and LOVE Yahoo sitebuilder. You can use, or not use the template library. I didn't have to pay someone like you and UNGODLY amount of money to do something I am quite capable of doing myself. I pay a minimal hosting fee, and can do my own updates as frequently as I want, and when I want for FREE! I don't have to wait on a webmaster to decide to do my upgrades in his or her timeframe and then charge me a $125 fee for something that takes less than 5 minutes to change.

2) Why are you pulling up all these ancient posts about websites/biz cards & such... just today we had 2 other posts about websites that you could have answered on...if a thread isn't on the first page it might is pretty much dead, not that it can't be resurrected, but the reason you resurrected it was for your own business promotion...which brings me to the final item...

3) It specifically says on the index of forums that the Cake Business Discussion forum strictly prohibits advertising ones business within this forum. Something you have blatently done. Are you a cake enthusiest...do you decorate/bake at all? If not why don't you support this site by actually purchasing an ad, instead of trying to promote your web services for free.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%