I Need A Recipe For Maple Sugar Candies

Baking By Cakeyladey Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 12:30am by Cakeyladey

Cakeyladey Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 3

Hoping you guys can help I'm trying to find a recipe for those molded type Maple Sugar Candies ... Vermont type! My dads fav so, i want to do these for his 75th B-day in November... Many Thanks to those of you ahead of time~~~ thumbs_up.gif

Here a link to the type I'm refering to...
http://www.eaglehollowsugarworks.com/index.php?main_page=popup_image&pID=1

2 replies
sadiepix Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 6:05pm
post #2 of 3

Well, there are bunches out there and I know some New Englanders can be really picky over the recipe, whether to add cream, or butter etc and why.

The ones I am most familiar with are just made from maple syrup.
Do you know if the ones he likes have cream in them?

Here are two recipes I have, you can see if either fits your needs. HTH

*Maple Sugar Candy
2 cups high grade REAL maple syrup

Boil syrup in heavy pan to 235 degrees on med-hi heat, stirring occasionally.
Once at temp, place the pot (with thermometer still in) off the heat on a wooden board.
Cool to 175 (takes about 10-15 minutes)

Beat the syrup with a wooden spoon til thick, creamy and lighter in color. It will lose shine as well.
(Takes 5-7 minutes by hand)

Pour into candy molds or a buttered pan and allow to cool completely. Unmold, or slice. Keeps several months in an airtight container. Makes about 20 one ounce servings.

Do be aware of the affect of outside temps/humidity when making this, as with all candy.

**Maple Cream Candy
4 c. high grade maple syrup
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 lb butter
1 tsp lemon or vanilla extract
1 c. chopped nuts (optional)

Boil syrup, cream and butter to 230 degrees. (about 9 minutes past boil if not using a thermometer) Remove from heat, add extract (and nuts if using) and beat vigorously by hand for five minutes until light and creamy.
Pour into molds or greases pan and allow to cool before unmolding or slicing.

Cakeyladey Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:30am
post #3 of 3

Thank you icon_biggrin.gif so, much Sadie I have only found one more but, I think yours sounds more like what I'm looking for... thumbs_up.gif Again Thanks! Have A Great Day!!! birthday.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%