I Have A Few Questions Re: Of Baking To Serving

Decorating By luvhavinbgtwins Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 8:28pm by alanahodgson

luvhavinbgtwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvhavinbgtwins Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:32pm
post #1 of 10

How far ahead can you bake and freeze, when you unthaw do you do that over night??

When deco w/BC can this set out or have to be in fridge. I am using fondont also but for deco's.

I have twins 1 Boy 1 Girl so I have 2 cakes I have to do with 2 differ themes.

If anyone has any tips or any short cuts it would mean the world right now.

Thank you!! Thank you!! Thank you!!

9 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 10

You can bake a couple of weeks ahead and freeze. Cake thaws pretty quickly at room temp so if you're doing it overnight you could do it in the fridge, then you have cold cake that's easier to handle than room temp cake. Or it will thaw on the counter in about a hour. Most buttercream recipes can sit out at room temp for several days.

luvhavinbgtwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvhavinbgtwins Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:24pm
post #3 of 10

Would it hurt If I put the cake in the frig overnight .

I do know fondant cant go in the frige. (right?)

Thanks so much.

alanahodgson Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 10

No, it wouldn't hurt to put it in the fridge overnight. I always refrigerate my fondant cakes and I don't have issues unless its super humid out. Condensation will develop when you take the cake out but it will evaporate and as long as you don't touch the cake when its wet it'll be fine.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:30am
post #5 of 10

Alana, what kind of fondant do you use? I've had mixed results with refrigerating MMF beyond just the stickiness (dark colors ran after 2 days...they were leftovers but it was a good lesson to learn.)

alanahodgson Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #6 of 10

I use Michele Foster's recipe.

ceshell Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #7 of 10

Somehow I knew you were going to say that icon_wink.gif. Okay okay, I'll give it a try icon_smile.gif.

alanahodgson Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:54am
post #8 of 10

You won't regret it!

ceshell Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:02am
post #9 of 10

Yeah YOU can say that, but apparently unlike me, you are not gelatinously challenged. Gelatinely?? I don't know-->that stuff just doesn't get along with me, I seem to be incapable of getting past the dissolve-it-in-water stage. Yes I can boil and egg and make toast!! Maybe I need to watch a YouTube video on it lol. I am a sucker for the ease of MMF, but I'd prefer a more fridge-stable substance. I actually just ordered a little bucket of Satin Ice to try it out.

alanahodgson Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 8:28pm
post #10 of 10

Ha ha!! Oh man! I didn't know there were gelatinously challenged people out there. I"m sorry for being insensitive to your impairment. I wish you luck in overcoming it and if there's anything I can do to help, please let me know icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%