Have You Ever Thought Of Writing A Book?

Business By jackieblue Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 12:27pm by SeriousCakes

jackieblue Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 22

I am always a sucker for the next newest cake decorating book. I have often wondered if I were to write a book, are there others like me that would flock to buy it? Has anyone else ever thought about this?

21 replies
indydebi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 22

Well, not a cake decorating book .... but, if you could access my hard drive, you'd find a lot of drafts of chapters in there! icon_biggrin.gif I use them as my 'script' when I do public speaking.

TexasSugar Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 22

Indy, I wish you would write a book on the business part of cake decorating. You always have awesome insight!

lilahcakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 22

I have a cake cookbook addiction. I could look and read baking books all day long.

Fairytale Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #5 of 22

I have actually written a cookie decorating book. You cannot imagine how much work goes into these. You have to not only come up with the text, but also be good at describing your process, take step by step pictures, consider all the legal aspects, decide whether to go self publishing or to contact editors, it needs to be proof read, you need to make sure your facts are accurate, you need permission if your going to include a product name, need to decide the length, if the picutres will be in color, how the book will be bound, what kind of cover it needs, etc., etc. I think sales really depends on content.

lilahcakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:12pm
post #6 of 22

Fairytale, I looked at your cookies they are amazing!!! Whats the name of your book, Id like to see it.

AmyGonzalez Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:18pm
post #7 of 22

I'm in the process of writting a book. It's not a baking book, but a romantic tragedy....well at least that is what it is right now. icon_lol.gif I've been writting it for about a year now. I find it a way to escape this crazy busy world. icon_lol.gif Hopefully I'll finish it one day.

Fairytale Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilahcakes

Fairytale, I looked at your cookies they are amazing!!! Whats the name of your book, Id like to see it.

Thanks. It hasn't been publication yet. Still lots of decisions to make.

bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:47pm
post #9 of 22

Fairytale, when it's published I want the FIRST one hot off the presses AUTOGRAPHED!! icon_biggrin.gif

Fairytale Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Fairytale, when it's published I want the FIRST one hot off the presses AUTOGRAPHED!! icon_biggrin.gif

Haaaaaa, your so sweet. I've had a lot of interest in the book but I'm becoming concerned that my designs may be to complex. May not appeal to a large readership.

lilahcakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #11 of 22

Fairytale
well, i want to be on the waiting list too. Your cookies are too pretty to eat!!

Fairytale Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:07pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilahcakes

Fairytale
well, i want to be on the waiting list too. Your cookies are too pretty to eat!!

Thanks so much. (Didn't mean to hijack this thread).

littlecake Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairytale

I have actually written a cookie decorating book. You cannot imagine how much work goes into these. You have to not only come up with the text, but also be good at describing your process, take step by step pictures, consider all the legal aspects, decide whether to go self publishing or to contact editors, it needs to be proof read, you need to make sure your facts are accurate, you need permission if your going to include a product name, need to decide the length, if the picutres will be in color, how the book will be bound, what kind of cover it needs, etc., etc. I think sales really depends on content.

omgosh...i've just spent a long time looking at your pics.....thank you so much for posting them...i had the best time looking at them, you are an amazing talent....i hope the book makes you famous, you deserve it, you can really tell you put your heart into your work.

put me on the book list too!

mkolmar Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:35pm
post #14 of 22

waves hand high in the air screaming "ADD ME TO THE LIST ALSO FAIRYTALE." I love your work.

I've never written a book. Years ago I was writing poetry but someone stole all of them (years worth of work) when I was in the military along with some paintings I was working on (and a few pairs of my under garments icon_eek.gif ). I was planning on trying to get them published, but having them stolen kind of ended that idea.
I was so mad I haven't really written anything since.

Fairytale Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 11:35pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

waves hand high in the air screaming "ADD ME TO THE LIST ALSO FAIRYTALE." I love your work.

I've never written a book. Years ago I was writing poetry but someone stole all of them (years worth of work) when I was in the military along with some paintings I was working on (and a few pairs of my under garments icon_eek.gif ). I was planning on trying to get them published, but having them stolen kind of ended that idea.
I was so mad I haven't really written anything since.

OMG!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Your so funny. I'm still laughing.
Really sorry to hear you had your work stolen, non to mention you undies. How strange is that!

You all really are the best. I'll keep you in mind when my book come out. . . which may still be a while. icon_biggrin.gif

korkyo Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:00am
post #16 of 22

I've thought about writing a couple different cake books. I'm daunted by how much work it would take. Maybe when I become workd famous.
icon_lol.gif

Anyone know where to start?

summernoelle Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #17 of 22

icon_smile.gif

Teena_Marie Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:21am
post #18 of 22

Fairytale add me to your list too!

Fairytale Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:30am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teena_Marie

icon_smile.gif Wow, you guys rock. Guess I should get if finished.

Fairytale Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:30am
post #20 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teena_Marie

icon_smile.gif Wow, you guys rock. Guess I should get if finished.

baycheeks1 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:39am
post #21 of 22

Fairytale...what the heck add me to the list. I was in Barnes and Nobles today and was lookin at some of the books...this one can't remember the name of it, but it had good things about fondant in there...at this point wouldn't even think about writing a cake deorating book..but maybe in the future.

SeriousCakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:27pm
post #22 of 22

I have a notebook that I started writing down everything I've learned about buttercream since I've started. I haven't been doing this for all that long but man, if I had known some of the things that I had to learn the hard way, I could have saved myself a lot of frustration!! I started with my recipe and broke it down, ingredient by ingredient, talking about how everything works together and also the things that affect the outcome. I wrote off and on for about 3 days then hit a block. Thinking about it makes me want to get going again though icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%