Heavy Cream Is Expensive

Business By lovinkakes Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm by snarkybaker

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 6

I love what heavy whipping cream does for EVERYTHING. Moist cake, fluffy fillings. But it's too darn expensive! On sale, it's $5.00 a quart. Yuck! I may have to scale back to regular whipping cream (which is $4.00 a quart on sale), maybe buttermilk or something else. Oh well. Just a vent. Thanks.

5 replies
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #2 of 6

From our gourmet wholesaler, I get 40% cream for $2.84 a quart, and Costco regularly has Land O Lakes 36% butterfat cream for $3.19 a quart. Just ad 1 tablespoon of sour cream, creme fraiche or Mascapone per cup of cream to get to the 40% fat.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:05pm
post #3 of 6

wow - costo and sam's have HWC at $3ish here. At the grocery it's 4-5 though.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 6

Are you sure your not buying UHT H. cream?

Mike

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:14pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

From our gourmet wholesaler, I get 40% cream for $2.84 a quart, and Costco regularly has Land O Lakes 36% butterfat cream for $3.19 a quart. Just ad 1 tablespoon of sour cream, creme fraiche or Mascapone per cup of cream to get to the 40% fat.

Or melted butter, no?

Though most recipes should be workable with either 36% or 40%.

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaisieBake

Quote:
Originally Posted by txkat

Or melted butter, no?

Though most recipes should be workable with either 36% or 40%.

You can just heavy in a TBS of very soft butter ( I never add melted butter to baked goods), but I like the extra heft you get from one of the cultured cream products.

Most recipes work fine with the 36%. But many sweet flavors are dependant on fat to communicate their flavors to the palate. Less fat and more water= less flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%