Edible Images On Fondant????

Decorating By AZCakeGirl Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 7:02pm by marriedtoagreek74

AZCakeGirl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 7

My cousin is going into the Marine corp & they are throwing her a last minute going away party - although I have numerous things going on this week, of course I offered to bring a three tier cake! Since I do not have a lot of time to work on the cake, I would like to put edible images of the Marine Corp logo all around the sides of the middle tier. It needs to be fondant though because the temp. gets over 100 degrees where she lives & I don't want to risk using BC. Is this possible??? What is the best method? I thought of making them stick to the cake with piping gel, but wasn't sure if it would look right or not. I don't have much time & would hate to have to do it over if I messed it up, so thought I should ask here first.

Thanks for any advice!

6 replies
Tona Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:39pm
post #2 of 7

You can use water and they will stick just a very light coating of water.

AZCakeGirl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #4 of 7

1st of all......I have used b'cream on cake w/temps over 100 w/o troubleicon_smile.gif Use a recipe about 1/2 b & 1/2 Crisco.

Yes you can apply EIs to fondant. As was tona said, lightly brush the area of fondant where you want to apply the EI with water and place the item. You should not have a problem. DO NOT apply the water to the EI or it will dissolve & be a huge problem.

AZCakeGirl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks. Part of the other reason I didn't want to do buttercream though is because I will also be driving with the cake in the back of my SUV for 6 hours to get there. I figure with the heat & the risk of something happening during transport, I'd prefer to go with fondant since it just seems to be the safer alternative all around. Especially when I will not be able to work on the cake once I get there & need to have everything done in advance.

tonedna Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 5:28pm
post #6 of 7

Just make sure you crank the AC in the car. It should be fine!
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

marriedtoagreek74 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 7:02pm
post #7 of 7

I used an edible image on wafer paper yesterday and applied it with piping gel. Initially I put it on the back but i was still stiff and didn't mold to the fondant (odd shape) so then I put a lite coat of piping gel over the top and it went on just fine.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%