Do You Think.....

Decorating By CodysMa Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 3:33am by lilahcakes

CodysMa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CodysMa Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 11

i have my first wedding cake this coming weekend.... icon_biggrin.gif i just have one question is a 14" 12" and a 10" ok?? or is that going to look to big and bulky?? I'm worried it will just look like a big pile of cake....its for a little over 100 people....

10 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #2 of 11

According to the Wilton charts for wedding cakes (which is the chart you should consult for serving sizes) a 6/9/12 = 100 servings, including the top tier. I personally think that's more visually pleasing, but every wedding cake I do has a 6" top tier, without exception. If you're working with florists, they will expect your top tier to be 6" in diameter.

If they are planning to save the top tier, then 6/8/10/12 = 120.

I personally think that a 10" looks too chunky for a top tier. But that is just my opinion. But then, I do about 100 weddings a year, and pretty much do wedding cakes exclusively. But still, just my opinion.

lovinkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinkakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 11

So using the great tutorial on CC about how to draw cakes, here's a 10 12 14:

(If you can't see it, you may have to click on the red x 2 or 3 times until the error message goes away and it will pop up in a different window).

Are you using Wilton counts? then that serves 172.
LL

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #4 of 11

Will they be cutting the top tier or saving it for the 1 yr. Anniversary?

I like the look of a tiered cake with tiers that have at least 4" difference in size from the one they are stacked on. Now, I have done 14, 12, 10,8, and 6, and because it was so tall and had 5 tiers it looked nice. I'm a little concerned that the 14,12, and 10 will look short and stumpy. Maybe add a 6" on top of the 10, if the client is set on those numbers. HTH thumbs_up.gif

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:32pm
post #5 of 11

I agree with leahs, I would not use a 10" as the top tier, it is way too big. I have only used 5", 6" and 7" sizes for top tiers.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:35pm
post #6 of 11

The 10 on the top will be way to big. It won't look rihgt, like half the cake is missing! The largest top I've even done is a 7, and even that was pushing it.

CodysMa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CodysMa Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:44pm
post #7 of 11

Thank you Thank you Thank you....I thought it wouldnt look right but i wasnt sure. I was not looking on the wilton serving chart it was another one. I was stressing out about this but i feel better now. Thanks for all the help!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 11

I agree, I think the 10" top will look too big & like you forgot to put the "real" top tier on the cake. You need something smaller, I would recommend a 6" top. I'm assuming since you are new to this, you probably don't have a lot of pan sizes, so how about a 14" - 10" - 6" since you already have the 14" & the 10"???

That should give you enough cake, looks nice together (exactly 4 inches between each tier) & I know you can buy the 6" pans at Wal-mart in the craft dept. for only about $5.00 a piece so you wouldn't be putting out much more money than you have already spent on pans.

mazz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazz Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:10pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinkakes

(If you can't see it, you may have to click on the red x 2 or 3 times until the error message goes away and it will pop up in a different window).

Can you tell me where the Tutorial is on CC about how to draw cakes?

It would be a great help.

Thank you.

Tona Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tona Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #10 of 11

I agree the 10 will be to large for the top teir. I always do a 6 or 7 for the top.

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:33am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinkakes

Can you tell me where the Tutorial is on CC about how to draw cakes?

It would be a great help.

Thank you.

Go to the article tab on the top of the page, then scroll down till you get to the box that says general youll see it there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%