Duplicating A 50 Yr Old Wedding Cake

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 1:49am by thecakemaker

thecakemaker Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:40pm
post #1 of 10

I've been asked to duplicate a wedding cake for a 50th wedding anniversary. I'm having a hard time figuring out how it was decorated. I'd love opinions on the decoration, tips, etc for this cake.

9 replies
keljo05 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 10

silly question - is it because you can't really see the details? I had a hard time looking at it because the details, to me, were hard to see. I played around with it a bit in Picasa and darkened it to show more detail.

leah_s Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 2:54pm
post #3 of 10

That sure helped! Looks like swags, cornelli and roses with a shell border. You just know it has to be a Wilton design!!!

thecakemaker Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 10

Wow keljo05 - when I saw your picture I thought it was a scan out of a book! Yes, I couldn't see the details. Thanks!

I've been through all of my old Wilton and Ateco books hoping to find the cake with no luck. Now to figure out the tips and techniques!

Thanks again!

costumeczar Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 10

I have the same "assignment" for this week, a 50th anniversary cake recreation, adn it looks almost exactly likethat one. They just used a big old star tip and did a lot of swags and borders with it in most of the designs that I've seen. If you look closely it looks like the picture you posted used a star tip and a leaf tip, and that's about it. The one that I have to do is all star tip, so I think that was the predominant style of the day. I can't tell, but what looks like roses on your picture might even be rosettes made with the star tip. The one that I'm doing doesn't even have any roses on it. I'm going to do another search for that era's cakes and if I come up with a lot of the same I'll post back.

keljo05 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:55pm
post #6 of 10

You're welcome Debbie - I can't advise on whats used or technique.. but at least I can was able to help see it better, lol

Omphale237 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #7 of 10

I found this website that has a cake that is similar. However the picture is really small so its hard to see a lot of the detail. Hope it helps.

SweetDreams Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 12:34am
post #8 of 10

I did this last year for a 50th anniversary. I just played around with different tips and tried to figure out (by looking at the picture they gave me) how to do the different details.
Cakes back then sure had a lot of detailed buttercream designs and multiple borders .

Good Luck, I'm sure you will do a great job!

kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:29am
post #9 of 10

If anyone has either of Wilton's 1st wedding books.....there were two of them - you can find it or very similar ones. They used very big tips for the shells - I want to say 199 but not sure & don't have my books anymore to help me look it up.
There is no cornelli on it; just lots and lots of huge shells, zigzags, swirls and swags.
.......1970 Wilton's wonderland of cake decorating.......

Yes! this is one of the two b ooks I was refering to. You *will* find that pic in it icon_smile.gif

thecakemaker Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #10 of 10

Thanks everyone! I have at least one of the Wilton Wonderland books - i'll take a look at that one again. I'm not sure which year it was. This certainly isn't the kind of cake i'm accustomed to making but I like a challenge!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%