Why?

Decorating By crazymommyof3 Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm by foxymomma521

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 12:40pm
post #1 of 4

I made a cake yesterday for a BBQ. It was kind of muggy and rainy here, in the high 60's. I was NOT happy with how it turned out. MOST of my unhappiness stemmed from a crappy sheet cake pan. I need a new one, but I am just getting started...one thing at a time. icon_smile.gif

Anyway, I was noticing that my BC did not want to 'stick'. It kept wanting to sort of peel off. Was that weather related? I baked my cakes Friday and wrapped them in saran wrap. I made my frosting Friday too. I have been experimenting with the BC recipe, but I didn't change much. I did 1 C Crisco and 1 C butter and I used heavy cream. I added meringue powder since I had cake class yesterday. It was basically the Wilton BC recipe adjusted a bit. I'm not sure if it was just the weather or if I did something wrong?

I haven't been able to get pictures to post on here, but I will put the pic on my blog later on. I am so not happy with the cake.

Oh well, all my husband's BMW buddies were impressed. Live and learn I guess.

http://www.crazymommydaze.blogspot.com

3 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:02pm
post #2 of 4

Any P sugar? It does look like it leans heavy on fat. That could be the issue.

Mike

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 4

Your icing may have been too stiff. Also, since you had your cakes wrapped in Saran, they may have been too moist on the outside (due to the humidity). I usually unwrap my cakes and let them sit uncovered for about 15 minutes, or so, to let the surface moisture evaporate before icing.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 4

I use almost that same recipe with no problems... I use hi-ratio though... I used to have the same problem when I used Crisco brand, and found it got better when I used a generic shortening instead...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%