Clay Guns

Decorating By mellormom Updated 3 Oct 2008 , 2:28am by beagledog100

mellormom Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:43am
post #1 of 24

Are they all created equal or is one better than the others. I'm looking on e-bay and there are so many choices and some have more disks but don't look as well made and so on and so on.
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37.l1313&satitle=clay+gun&category0=
Or is the clay gun they sell at Michaels good? I just don't want to waste my money on something cheap that will break the minute you use it.
Thanks for help on this matter!
Jen...

23 replies
PinkZiab Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #2 of 24

you don't want the plunger type that works like a hypodermic lol... way too hard to be productive with. I recommend the m a k i n 's professional. It's green, has a "T" bar type of crank and is virtually effortless to use.

BlakesCakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 8:08pm
post #3 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

you don't want the plunger type that works like a hypodermic lol... way too hard to be productive with. I recommend the m a k i n 's professional. It's green, has a "T" bar type of crank and is virtually effortless to use.

This one is the best $ you'll ever spend on an extruder!!!!!

Rae

snowshoe1 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 24

Yep - you want the green m akins gun! I went through another gun that was spring operated before CC turned me on to this one. Rock solid and super easy to clean.

Kay_NL Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:48pm
post #5 of 24

I have the makin's non-green one and, while it works fine, I find it very hard on my hands trying to squeeze stuff out! Perhaps my fondant is too hard!

rcs Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:57pm
post #6 of 24

I vote for the Makins gun also. It's very easy to use.

snowshoe1 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:10pm
post #7 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay_NL

I have the makin's non-green one and, while it works fine, I find it very hard on my hands trying to squeeze stuff out! Perhaps my fondant is too hard!

Yep - you probably need to soften it up with shortening. I find I can use this by twirling one end of the handle with a few fingers while directing the gun with the other hand.

Kay_NL Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #8 of 24

Does this one have a pusher-part (lol) that screws in then? The one I have is like a syringe, just the same brand name...

mellormom Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:39am
post #9 of 24

Thanks a million! I just realized people replied didn't get a notice. Sorry!
Jen...

xstitcher Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:56am
post #10 of 24

Sorry to barge in on this post but I was wondering if one of you experts would answer the following question as I have never used one before and never heard of it until recently.
Would you guys recommend buying any of the other disc sets that are available or are the ones that come with it sufficient.
TIA! icon_smile.gif

mellormom Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 11:06am
post #11 of 24

Good Question. I was wondering the same thing!
Jen...

PinkZiab Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:29pm
post #12 of 24

So far I've only really needed the discs that came with it... and if I even use half of them, that would be a lot.

janicecold Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:47pm
post #13 of 24

I read of people using these guns and looked at Micheal's to see what they had. I have to say that I got the gun that is shown in the picture above and it is great. I have only used it afew times but it is easy to use and I even put it in the dishwasher. If I don't have to wash it by hand it goes in the dishwasher and it was clean as a whistle. Just becareful not to put the little rubber ring in though. That could get lost easily.

xstitcher Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:57am
post #14 of 24

Thanks for the reply PinkZiab!! thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:46am
post #15 of 24

I just used my ultimate professional for the first time, it is definitely a dream. I did a figure with the thinnest, verimicelli-width hair...omg sooo easy and FUN using the extruder. I need to come up with an idea for my next cake just so I can use it again SOON. I'd read a lot of posts about kneading some shortening into your fondant, and also greasing the tube, so armed with this knowledge, I prepped it properly and it worked like a charm from the first twist.

Kay_NL it has a "plunger" of sorts, but instead of trying to force it down the syringe-style plunger with your hands, countertops or a hammer, you just twist the T-bar and the plunger screws down. It is soo easy to use. I also agree with the PP, I can't imagine you'd need even MORE discs than the 22(? I think) it comes with. Since I can't find it at Michael's anymore, I got mine online at polyclayplay.com - it was the lowest price I could find when you factored in shipping.

Kay_NL Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:11pm
post #16 of 24

I definitely have the wrong one, now I can I sneak another home without DH complaining! LOL!!!! I had aches in my hands last time I used it, that was about 3 months ago. icon_sad.gif

beagledog100 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 8:57pm
post #17 of 24

Can you purchase the Makin's Professional extruder at Michaels or does it need to be ordered online?

xstitcher Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:20pm
post #18 of 24

You might want to call ahead to your Michaels. The one close to me no longer carries them.

cutthecake Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:30pm
post #19 of 24

Michaels has discontinued this product, I was told at two of their stores. They had the discs, but not the gun.

sillywabbitz Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:47pm
post #20 of 24

Hobby lobby carries the green one but best I can tell they only keep one in stock at a time. They also have the clay face molds which I have not bought but always look at like ...someday I'm going to need youicon_smile.gif

cakecastle Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 9:50pm
post #21 of 24

The Micheal's around me have also quit carrying it, but if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby they do have it. And if you get it on a week with the 40% coupon you can get it for about $15 or so (as long as it's not already on sale). I bought a different one a Micheal's at first, but took it back (unopened) when I found the Makin's at Hobby Lobby. I love mine!

beagledog100 Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:17pm
post #22 of 24

Thanks, I will try Hobby Lobby tonight. I guess they would be by the polymer clay?

ceshell Posted 2 Oct 2008 , 10:57pm
post #23 of 24

Yep, by the polymer clay. My Michael's doesn't have it anymore, I had to get it online as they don't have Hobby Lobby's out here. I just used it for the 1st time last weekend for hair on a figure, wow that was just awesome, so easy and great results thumbs_up.gif

beagledog100 Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 2:28am
post #24 of 24

I stopped by Hobby Lobby and they had one in stock. I used my 40% off coupon....yippee!! I can't wait to try this out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%