Real Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By JeCookie Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 11:16am by bettinashoe

JeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JeCookie Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #1 of 4

Hello All,

I've been trying to find a good chocolate buttercream recipe that is dark, but is real chocolate. I've tried adding coffee, cocoa powder, but I'm still not coming up with a good texture for icing a cake. Can anyone please help me find a good chocolate buttercream recipe?

I typically used buttercream with the shortening recipe.

Thanks for your help.

3 replies
marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:35am
post #2 of 4

Morning.. I just had this question.. All of the cc memebers were very helpul, Let me see if I can somehow cut & paste my post for you.

marion123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marion123 Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 10:37am
post #3 of 4

What is the best one that I should use for making Cho. buttercream... I know that Hersey's has one.. Is that a good one?

tcbalgord

Birthday: Oct 02
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:38 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use Hershey's and have never had any problems with it.

Good luck

When my wires are frayed I think of shiny happy people holding hands!

rvercher23

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:45 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have used lots of cocoa powders, but I have found that when I use the semi-sweet baking squares, the icing comes out smoother and has a better taste.

zoraya
Frequent Member

Birthday: Dec 08
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:49 am

rvercher23 wrote:
I have used lots of cocoa powders, but I have found that when I use the semi-sweet baking squares, the icing comes out smoother and has a better taste.

I agree with that. I think the cocoa powder tastes like cocoa powder but when you use the chocolae squares its delicious! Only way I do it now.

carissa123

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:01 am

I'm going to use the squares.. When do I add it to my Wilton Buttercream that I learned from m Wilton class? I need to melt them and do Ilet them cool before I add to the buttercream?

Thank you so much

KateyK

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:07 am

I like the Special Dark Hershey's Cocoa Powder. I love the color it makes!

lvspaisley

Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:18 am

I always use Ghiradelli chocolate squares in the baking aisle. I've read several posts on here from people who have said that cocoa powder makes the icing grainy so I haven't used the powder at all.

I melt the squares in the microwave in a glass Pyrex measuring cup and let it cool before I add it to the icing.

Let us know how it turns out!

jibbies
Forum Fanatic

Birthday: Nov 06
Gallery Supporter Member
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:25 am

Try my chocolate velvet buttercream recipe (it's highlighted on the home page right now). The 2lb is powdered sugar I left that off
By the way I haven't had problems with it being grainy.

Jibbies

smbegg
Forum Addict

Birthday: Dec 14
Posted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:26 am

I just use Nestle, but I also use Hershey Syrup for the liquid. Makes a nice dark brown chocolaty BC

Stephanie

evesloven

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:54 am

I've used Nestle and Hershey's powder as well as melted squares and choc. syrup. They all provide a different taste. I've never had a problem with grainy texture from the powders. Personally I use a half/half mix of the squares and Nestle's powder. I like the taste better and I'll end up with a slightly lighter brown color that I like.

cb_one
Frequent Member

Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:16 am

10x based Buttercreams can come out grainy even without the cocoa power IMO.

Use the best chocolate you can afford. Lindt's, Ghiradelli are easy to find, good quality and not expensive.

Semisweet is good, but I prefer Bittersweet for a deeper chocolate taste.

Wesha

Birthday: Jan 02
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:40 am

carissa123 wrote:
What is the best one that I should use for making Cho. buttercream... I know that Hersey's has one.. Is that a good one?

I always use hershey's. Love it, there cake receipe on the box is the only chocolate cake receipe that I use.

TexasSugar
Forum SuperStar!

Birthday: Dec 08
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:49 pm

KateyK wrote:
I like the Special Dark Hershey's Cocoa Powder. I love the color it makes!

Not to mention the taste of it! YUMMY!! So so good!

bevyd

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:51 pm

I have tried some of the other higher priced cocoa's but I always come back to Hershey's. Ditto Wesha!!!

bevyd

Posted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:51 pm

I have tried some of the other higher priced cocoa's but I always come back to Hershey's. Ditto Wesha!!!

Display posts from previous: All Posts1 Day7 Days2 Weeks1 Month3 Months6 Months1 Year Oldest FirstNewest First

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 11:16am
post #4 of 4

Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa has a really good recipe on their box.

1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk bringing to spreading consistency. Add small amount of extra milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla. Makes 2 cups of frosting.

This has a wonderfully rich taste. (It's the Special Dark Cocoa that does it.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%