? Wire Springy Thingys??

Decorating By krissycupcakes Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm by krissycupcakes

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:11am
post #1 of 5

ok so i decided i wasnt busy enough at work so i told my best friend i would make a birthday cake for her mothers 50th and let her look around this website ?what was i thinking? so now she wants a topsy turvy (ive never made one!) with springy spiral things like you see on wedding cakes what kinda metal do i use / how do i make them all perfect looking or is there somewhere that everyone buys them... please help for the first time ever she told me she believes in me and thinks im amazing at what i do. if this cake comes out crappy im going to have to change my name!!! icon_confused.gif

4 replies
lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:23am
post #2 of 5

Ok, Im really new at this, so I looked it up in a book for you. 1.5mm aluminum wire . This is what Lindy Smith did with her sparkling fish cake . Its in her book Cakes to Inspire and Desire. I hope this helps. oh I just notice she uses .6mm jewellery wire on her snow flake cake. so it probably depends on how heavy what you attach to them is.

cutthecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutthecake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:35am
post #3 of 5

Wrap the wire around the handle of a wooden spoon to make the spirals.

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #4 of 5

You can also use floral wire, which you can buy at Michael's or Hobby Lobby. I use 20 gauge wire, myself. The smaller the gauge, the thicker the wire. You can manipulate it by wrapping it around something cylindrical like gdlgdl said. I suggest using coffee stirrers to stabilize the wires. Stick the coffee stirrer in the cake and the wire into the coffee stirrer...this keeps the wire from falling and ripping through the cake.

HTH! thumbs_up.gif

Edited to add links to making TT cakes:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-587795-instructions.html+crooked

http://www.cakecentral.com/article1-Instructions-For-Building-A-Whimsical-Tilted-Cake.html

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 5

wow coffee stirrers. thats a great idea. (sounds like a tip my mom would come up with but i never listen to her what does she know!!!) but i will take it from you guys so thanks for the help im glad this sounds easy!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%